X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't run Vuescan

Originally posted by SheeEttin
    When I said "executable file", I meant binary, not a file having the executable bit set. Sorry.
    I don't know why it was happening, but you couldn't get it to execute from within a console because it apparently didn't exist, while you could still see it in Konqueror. I was trying to get it to execute in a console so we could see the output and figure out why it wasn't executing by being clicked on.

You say Kooka's working now, so does that mean the problem is resolved?
    Sorry, but the problem is not resolved. It's just that having Kooka working I can now at least use the scanner without reverting to Windows where I also have Vuescan on the same licence.. I have also restored my screen resolution and other problems. I shall keep plodding on trying to get vuescan working but I just don't understand why you and other users of Kubuntu don't have the same problem. It suggests that I have done something wrong/silly.

Comment

This Kubuntu user never heard of Vuescan before 2 days ago.

Kooka seems a perfectly suitable scanning package, for all my purposes.

Comment

When I said "executable file", I meant binary, not a file having the executable bit set. Sorry.
        I don't know why it was happening, but you couldn't get it to execute from within a console because it apparently didn't exist, while you could still see it in Konqueror. I was trying to get it to execute in a console so we could see the output and figure out why it wasn't executing by being clicked on.

You say Kooka's working now, so does that mean the problem is resolved?
        I have been approaching this from a different angle - trying to establish the difference between your and my systems. I ran 32 bit ubuntu from a live CD and downloaded Vuescan.. It worked without difficulty. Unfortunately I haven't yet got a 32 bit kubuntu to make the comparison but does this indicate that Vuescan does not run on a 64 bit OS? The author dismissed this but my earlier suspicion seems to me likely.

I tried e-mailing the extracted files to myself, receiving them in the installed kubuntu but the received executable file would nut run.

Comment

I honestly don't know what's going on. If you can see the file in Konqueror, you should also be able to see it in a terminal.

Is something changing between opening Konqueror and opening Konsole, or is there something you're not telling me?
          For external use only.

Comment

I honestly don't know what's going on. If you can see the file in Konqueror, you should also be able to see it in a terminal.

Is something changing between opening Konqueror and opening Konsole, or is there something you're not telling me?
            I have done it! I should have stuck to an earlier hunch and followed it up. It's the 64/32 bit thing. Vuescan won't run as it is on a 64 bit OS. I found clues on other ubuntu forums and installed ia32-libs* and (with some difficulty) the 32 bit version of libusb-0.1.so.4 into /usr/lib32.

What a marathon! Many thanks for all your help. I have learned a lot in the process.

Comment

I just had a peek at the vuescan homepage and I think I could use it. I can't get my acer scanprisa 1240UT to run with kooka or any other scan app. (it used to run under drapper, but not since)

Anyway my question is:
              Did you have to buy a license for the linux version?
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                I just had a peek at the vuescan homepage and I think I could use it. I can't get my acer scanprisa 1240UT to run with kooka or any other scan app. (it used to run under drapper, but not since)

Anyway my question is:
                Did you have to buy a license for the linux version?
                Yes, unfortunately. It's quite expensive especially if you pay for unlimited upgrades. But it is an excellent program used my many professionals. I think you can use it on free trial although I think it puts a watermark on everything. I don't need to say that it is a bit of a struggle to get it going on 64 bit Linux.

Comment

Working...
                X