X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about VMware....

Today I installed VMware 2.0

And I have a question... I know that I will have to make image of my Windows drive and them upload it to my Linux partition.. and use it with VMware Player...

But... Can actually use VMware player.. To boot my Windows partition.. my windows drive?

Re: Question about VMware....

You bet, Kdar. That's exactly how I run Win XP. I got my basic vmx machine from Unicorn Rider's web site, and with a little bit of advice, I got the CD ROM configured correctly, enabled USB and sound, and have a fully functional Win XP "Bill in a box" machine, on which to run my genealogy application. If you click on the Image Gallery in the top forum menu above, you can see a screenshot that I uploaded, and on the backside of the Beryl cube you will see a Win XP session running.

You'll need a Windows installation CD, of course, and to have your CD ROM functional under VMW Player. It takes some fiddling around to get the Win CD to boot the first time, but once it does, it's a plain vanilla Win XP installation -- no different than if it was a real computer.

The only difference, which you need to bear in mind, is that your "Bill in a box" Windows will not speak directly with your hardware -- so the video driver is a fake, and so forth. But you can still choose your screen resolution to fit it into a window on your Kubuntu desktop, just like you see in my screenshot.

Comment

oh ok..

So I will not able to boot my existing Windows partition/drive..?

Comment

If you want to keep a "real" Windows bootable OS, you can do so -- there's nothing about VMW Player that will interfere with that. The Win XP that runs in VMW Player is a separate installation, running under your Kubuntu session. The only way that it will see anything else on your system is if you set up Samba to connect Kubuntu and the VMW Player session of Win XP.

Comment

VMWare is able to use a real partition for a virtual OS, so in theory you could have it as both a virtual and actual machine, though I doubt Windows would like the hardware switching. It'd be an interesting experiment, though...
          For external use only.

Comment

Conversely you can do this:
            http://www.howtoforge.com/vmware_con..._windows_linux
            Read all of it and the various links!

If you have a separate Data partition then let the converter "copy" your winsystem to there.

Use vmware server to install vmware tools (you'll need that!)

Then run the vmware-player 2.0.

To "see" your winxpdata (my docs, etc) you'll have to setup samba. More on that later

Enjoy
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

The downside is that windows will need activating so you need a new license for the vmware copy. Also, just about any program you try will not run properly, or will not run at all.

Finally, with the latest kernel, vmware is difficult to even install. This may help:

wget http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmwa...date110.tar.gz
              tar xvfz vmware-any-any-update110.tar.gz
              cd vmware-any-any-update110
              ./runme.pl

Comment

The downside is that windows will need activating so you need a new license for the vmware copy. Also, just about any program you try will not run properly, or will not run at all.]The downside is that windows will need activating so you need a new license for the vmware copy.
                That (the license part) is true if you have installed xp more than three times. If so you have to call mssupport and tell them you had to install a new HD. No big deal.
                If not just type in your winxp license key when prompted.

I don't know what you mean by:
                Also, just about any program you try will not run properly, or will not run at all.
                I installed and am running adobe flash 2004, dreamweaver 2004, PS cs3, wamp and few other tidbits just fine. In fact faster and more stable than on my "native" winxp install.

As for latest kernel, that applies to gutsy not feisty. Besides Kdar already has it installed

Read more:
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085027.0

Cheers
                F
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Mike0001
                  Also, just about any program you try will not run properly, or will not run at all.

Finally, with the latest kernel, vmware is difficult to even install. This may help:
                  Gee, this is not representative of my experience at all, Mike. On my VMW Player Win XP machine I have installed the following, with no hiccups at all:

The Master Genealogist (TMG)
                  Family Tree Maker
                  Motorola Phone Tools
                  Cisco VPN Client

That's all I ever need Windows for, but they installed and run flawlessly under Player 2.0, and I can tell you that TMG is a bear of a program -- it's a MS Visual FoxPro database and Wine can't handle it.

I think Windows games are probably more of a problem in VMWare, due to the "distance" that the real OS puts between the virtual machine and the underlying hardware.

Comment

I think Windows games are probably more of a problem in VMWare, due to the "distance" that the real OS puts between the virtual machine and the underlying hardware.
                    For gaming I'll buy a Wii
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Mike0001
                      just about any program you try will not run properly, or will not run at all
                      I've started using VMware with version 3.x of it's (then pricy) "Workstation" and until now, I haven't found the application not running inside or even killing a virtual Windoze. (But I have to admit that I'm using my machines for working only ...)

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                        For gaming I'll buy a Wii
                        I want a Wii...

On topic, I think he's confusing VMware with Wine. I have several programs installed in my virtual machine, and I'm sure I could get them working flawlessly... Right now, something's messed up. But they do work.
                        For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                        X