X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

restricted formats question

Hi all,
    I just installed Kubuntu on a laptop off the installation CD. This is a laptop I use for work and because of unique security requirements it won't connected to the Internet. I need this computer to play MP3 files and other such media files. The computer as it is now can't play them because of the whole restricted formats thing. I looked online and found a simple command to install these formats but since this computer can't access the Internet I'm stuck.

Here's the question, is there a way to install all the restriced formats, DVD playback capability, and medibuntu and all their dependencies using a jump drive and another Internet connected computer?

Also, how would you do that?

Thanks!

Re: restricted formats question

Ummmm ... that's not a real natural mode in which to run Kubuntu -- not sure how you're going to keep the system current, much less add the occasional package. However, here's guidance: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...g-scanpackages

:P

Comment

You may use this "other computer" as gateway to the internet (further reading).

Comment

I thought about that, but my office's security department prohibits that. I'm forced to use sneaker-net to get files onto the Kubuntu machine. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by cbhatt
          Any thoughts?
          How about an external (dial-in) modem to achieve at least a minimum of connectivity?
          Without any internet access, Unix/Linux is not really the operating system of choice ...

Comment

I never asked if modem access to the net would be a problem, the security guys are a bit paranoid so I seriously doubt they would allow it. Would a local copy of the repositories be a solution?

Comment

You should be able to download the files you want as deb files and install them locally.

Comment

You could, but then you'd be running back and forth between computers getting dependencies. (It's aggravating. I've been there.)
                For external use only.

Comment

I never asked if modem access to the net would be a problem
                  I never asked you to ask anyone :P

Would a local copy of the repositories be a solution?
                  That depends on the quality of the copy, I'd say; as far as I know (in theory only, that is ...), mirroring the repositories is possible and could result in something similar to the DVD (not: CD) images of Ubuntu ...

Further reading: http://apt-mirror.sourceforge.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Mike0001
                    You should be able to download the files you want as deb files and install them locally.
                    I suppose this is the best method. Any way to get all the dependancies in 1 shot so I'm not going back and forth too much (the 2 computers are seperated by about 12 miles)?

Comment

Well... yes, but it'd get extremely big. You could download the packages, check dependencies, download those, get the dependencies of the dependencies, etc., but that way lies madness. I'd go with apt-mirror and a few DVDs (assuming you have a DVD burner).
                      For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                      X