Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you have both the system sounds and sound in Real Player?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you have both the system sounds and sound in Real Player?

Hi I just love all of the sounds in Kubuntu, and at the moment have them all sounding but when I then use Real Player, there is no sound, so my question is, if you have all of the sounds set in notifications, can't you then have sounds in your player? In other words, isn't it possible to have both? If not this is a shame, or is there an answer?

Please help this little old granny out, as I really would appreciate your help

Thanks in anticipation

Technogran

Re: Can you have both the system sounds and sound in Real Player?

G'day, Technogran

I have system sounds working and I play my music using Amarok. Both at the same time. What are you using Real Player for? MP3? Streaming? CD's?

Let us have a little more information and I am sure we can help you out.

Cheers

Lowey (or Poppy, if you speak to my Grandkids)
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Well, I have enabled all the notifications in the set up and then when I tried to watch a download from the BBC using Real Player, there was no sound. I had to then go into the notifications sound set up and put Real Player in (at the bottom of the screen) and then enable sounds for that, but then I had no notification system sounds which led me to then think that you could only have one or the other set
      So how do I have sounds set in Real Player and also all the notifications sounds as well?

Technogran

Comment

Hmm. There's a note in System Settings > Auto-Suspend that reads "The KDE sound system takes exclusive control over your audio hardware, blocking programs that may wish to use it directly [e.g. games]. If the KDE sound system sits idle it can give up this exclusive control."
        What's the sound system that RealPlayer uses (e.g. alsa)?
        For external use only.

Comment

I am not aware which sound system it uses but it does seem that you have to choose between either sound to your player or sound to the system. Its a shame really that you can't have both.

Comment

Working...
          X