This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missing Control Center modules?

Oh to have to leave the clean waters of the Linux pool, to sully ones self in the murky waters of M$.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I know! I'm absolutely confused at the insistence we leave windows on it, as he is an avid Mac user. By the end of the multiple hour session clean up and configure job we did, he was starting to soften on the idea of installing Linux, but he was raised in Texas, so he's just a bit (read: a lot) stubborn, and hasn't given up on his intended project of seeing what he's missing by sticking with the mac.

Our neighbor needed money quick, and he has wanted a laptop to play around with our Apple Airport based network for a while now. So we ended up with a $250 XP home edition laptop from HP. I had to update the wireless driver to get the thing to talk on our network, installed AVG for anti-virus, and should probably find a firewall to install, but for now I'm going to trust the Apple Airports will work well enough with the anti-virus to keep the thing safe. Worse that'll happen is I'll have to hose the whole thing and put kubuntu on instead. *grin*

As for the actual subject of this thread, installing KDE-systemsettings fixed four of the five modules. I have Disk & Filesystem, System Services, User Management and Windows Applications back. Monitor & Display has gone back to a crash notification instead of just being listed as missing. So I seem to be back at that gorram bug that the bug report implies should be fixed on the repositories by now. Meh.

Comment

"For the time being": kcmshell –list (further reading)

Comment

Well, that was fun. It just told me "kcmshell (kdelibs): WARNING: Could not find module '–list'."

Comment

Don't copy/paste the entry - the dash line of list is actually a single (or double) hyphen: kcmshell --list (or kcmshell -list). Try again.

Comment

How weird, someone else replied pointing out the mistake, and now their post is gone. *blink*

At any rate, that made it work now. displayconfig is the module that's giving me crash errors, and I have backtrace for it. I'm not sure if I should bother submitting it to the bug reports, because they'll probably just associate it with the main bug that claims to have the fix submitted. meh.

When I hit adept and search for displayconfig, I find displayconfig-gtk but I don't believe that's the same package. Everything works now, other than that one module crashing for me even though the bug report system says it should be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten
                How weird, someone else replied pointing out the mistake, and now their post is gone. *blink*
                That was me and a very wrong click
                By the time i finished the repost there was no further need for it...

Comment

When I hit adept and search for displayconfig, I find displayconfig-gtk but I don't believe that's the same package. Everything works now, other than that one module crashing for me even though the bug report system says it should be fixed.
                  The package kdm, unless you are running Gnome for your desktop environment, is the X display package for KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
                    "For the time being": kcmshell –list (further reading)
                    This command executes in a non-root Konsole shell. But in a root session, I get the response:
                    kcmshell: cannot connect to X server

Why would this be?

Comment

To be applied analogously: http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....ro#the_x_files

Comment

Hmmm.

Okay, read the information on your page. As to my question then: Are you saying that kcmshell [options] won't run in a root-shell 'by design?'

Comment

"By design", as you word it, root is not allowed to access (the) user's X server.

Comment

So 'root' isn't the all powerful super-being he is perported to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                              So 'root' isn't the all powerful super-being he is perported to be?
                              That seems to be the case, and only the Penguin knows why ...

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                                The package kdm, unless you are running Gnome for your desktop environment, is the X display package for KDE.
                                That package appears to be installed correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X