This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Control Center modules?

The problem started as the just the settings module "Monitor & Display" was missing. This appeared to be in connection with bug 91454. There has been activity on the bug report to indicate that the fix committed has made it to the repositories and been installed by other people using Feisty, but I still was unable to open the "Monitor & Display" module.

Today I was poking around in the Control Center again for some reason, and I found a few more of the settings modules are missing now. Everything's listed in Control Center, the Settings menu in my KMenu, and System Settings, but attempts to load them all yield an error message:
    The module Monitor & Display could not be loaded.

The diagnostics is:

Possible reasons:
    • An error occurred during your last KDE upgrade leaving an orphaned control module
    • You have old third party modules lying around.

Check these points carefully and try to remove the module mentioned in the error message. If this fails, consider contacting your distributor or packager.
    The modules that are effected are:
    • Monitor & Display
    • Disk & Filesystem
    • System Services
    • User Management
    • Windows Applications

Everything other than Monitor & Display, I have been able to previously open since my upgrade to Feisty back at the end of April. I attempted to find packages to remove and reinstall using Adept Manager, but I can't seem to find the right packages. Anyone have any ideas on either how I can trouble shoot this, or what the problem is?

Re: Missing Control Center modules?

How about Alt-F2
    Code:
    kcontrol
    ?

Comment

I get the same thing as I do when I open Control Center from the settings menu in kmenu. It seems to be the modules themselves that are having the problem, not the various ways of grouping/displaying them together for easy access.

Comment

If you are using Adept, use it to request an uninstall of kcontrol, then request a reinstall. Assuming that this package alone is 'broken' as a result of your upgrade, that should fix the problem.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I gotta tell you this particular module has caused me nothing but trouble....

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            If you are using Adept, use it to request an uninstall of kcontrol, then request a reinstall. Assuming that this package alone is 'broken' as a result of your upgrade, that should fix the problem.
            I uninstalled it. Adept said it needed to remove Konqueror and System Settings too, plus a couple of other packages that I don't recall what they were, probably general dependencies. *shrugs* I went ahead with it, figuring it'd be easy to reinstall Konqueror when I was done with the mess.

I go to reinstall, and it tells me it'll break stuff if I attempt to install kcontrol. I'll see if it'll at least let me reinstall Konqueror, then get back to the control center once that's squared away.

Comment

Oh the joys of Linux!

In Adept, the package kde is the metapackage that installs the core KDE Desktop environment. Most likely, it is not marked as installed (wouldn't be if you system was installed from a LiveCD). You can always request it for installation. This should install any missing/uninstalled/required packages used by KDE.

Comment

Okay, part of the problem solved. Everything got reinstalled okay once I realized I'd lost my KDE 3.5.7 repositories while trying to sort out the mplayer/medibuntu problem recently. Once I added those back in, everything reinstalled fine.

However, I'm still missing the modules in kcontrol and such. Any other ideas?

Comment

Glad to here that you have made significant progress.

As to Kcontrol. Recheck Adept and see if that package is identified as fully installed.

Comment

kcontrol says it's installed, no breakage, no missing requirements, etc. I even poked through the Details area to make sure there weren't any suggestions missed or something.

Do we know the names of the packages the various modules I'm missing are in?

Comment

I'm attaching a snapshot of my Systems Settings window (General Tab). What items in here are you missing?
                      Attached Files

Comment

I listed all the modules I'm missing in my first post:

Originally posted by Death Kitten
                        The modules that are effected are:
                        • Monitor & Display
                        • Disk & Filesystem
                        • System Services
                        • User Management
                        • Windows Applications
                        Not all of the missing items are in the general tab, and the modules show up in the list, they just don't load when I select them.

Comment

Okay, just so you know, I'm now outside my comfort zone. That said however, I don't mind a challenge.

Check and see if the package kde-systemsettings is fully installed.

Comment

Additionally, check to see if package kde-guidance is fully installed:

"Guidance currently consists of four programs designed to help you look after your system: o userconfig - User and Group administration o serviceconfig - Service/daemon administration o mountconfig - Disk and filesystem administration o displayconfig - Screen and display configuration
                            These tools are available in KDE Control Center, System Settings or can be run as standalone applications."

Comment

KDE-Guidance is there, KDE-Systemsettings is not. I'm installing system settings now, but I'm off to continue to provide tech support to a "new" XP laptop that my mother's boyfriend bought second hand off a neighbor who needed cash.

Comment

Working...
                              X