Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recommendations for my xorg.conf file?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any recommendations for my xorg.conf file?

So, what is so awesome about beryl anyways? And how hard would it be for me to disable if I didn't like it or if it frelled my computer's ability to function?

Also, if I'm running two monitors on two video cards, and one of the cards can't keep up with it, how would it handle that?

Comment

Well, Beryl is pretty amazing to see, although its actual usefulness is a little more subtle, and takes some time to grow on you. If you click on the "Image Gallery" link above, you can see some screen shots of Beryl setups, including one that I uploaded last weekend. Basically it turns your desktop into a 4-sided cube that you can spin around with your mouse, so you don't have to minimize apps to have them available. On mine, you'll note I had a Windows XP session running in a VM Player window, which appears on the "backside" in the screenshot that I took to upload.

Comment

Do we know what it does with a dual monitor setup where one monitor isn't running a good video card?

Comment

Ummmmmmmmmm --- no.

I guess my suspicion would be that Beryl would only configure itself to run on the graphics system that supports glx, and that would be the GeF4 ti4200. But I don't know that for a fact.

However, Beryl does not change xorg.conf, so if it didn't work you could just un-install it -- it won't change your system.

Comment

I think I'll research it a bit, possibly wait until I upgrade my hardware/monitors, then play with it then.

Comment

Well as far as your xorg is concerned I tend to agree (like I usually do) with dible. His suspicions are pretty reliable as well.

As far as bery (compiz fusion) goes well I am at split minds. it looks great, but well it isn't quite there yet but moving quickly. I have almost the same cpu and ram setup as yours and it rocks nicely along. If you don't like it just turn it off.

For more go here:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w
              I hope you like elvis

or this if you like the beatles:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmz9a9pJR_s&NR=1

There are also a few posts under ubuntu about Beryl (compiz fusion) and dual monitors. Example:
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3015770

Enjoy

Cheers
              fintan
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
              X