This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared printer setup

I have an HP PSC 2175 printer set up on a Windows machine, set to be shared. I'm trying to set up my Kubuntu box to access it. What I've been trying to do is:

K menu->System Settings->Printers->Add->Add printer/class.

From there I can either select SMB shared printer or Network printer (TCP). SMB shared appears to go through without errors, even saying that test pages were sent to the printer, but nothing actually happens on the printer. Network printer scans the network through my router (192.168.1.***) but doesn't find anything.

Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Shared printer setup

Have you tried to add the printer in Administrator Mode?

There is a button in the right bottom of the screen. If you didn't you should delete the printer and add it again as Admin. Choose a different name, it should not be needed, but it won't harm.

The "Network printers" option is only for printers attached directly to the network, I mean connected physically to an Ethernet cable.

Extra info : Normal users are allowed to add new printers, but no new printer drivers. It means that you can only add a printer as an user if the driver is already installed in the computer (usually that means that a similar printer is connected). Yes, the printer wizard should issue you some kind of warning.

Javier.

Comment

Doing it in Administrator Mode didn't work either. :-( I hit "Scan" and it didn't actually tell me it found any printers - just went to printer driver selection.

I noticed if I leave it as "anonymous access", I can see the name of the computer on which the printer is installed, but if I put in the user/pass for that computer, said computer doesn't show up in the scan.

Comment

Have you tried to give it a valid user/password for the windows machine?.

If the "guest" user is enabled on the windows machine, you can try with guest/no password too.

A good way to troubleshot this will be to give us back the output of this command.

Code:
        $ smbclient -L windowsmachinename
        Don't write windowsmachinename, but the real name of the machine. You can try it with the IP address too.

Javier.

Comment

When I set up a printer over SMB, I had a bit of trouble too. I had to specify the full path to the printer, else it couldn't find the computer or there were no shares on it. For example: \\192.168.1.100\PRINTER (or maybe smb://192.168.1.100/PRINTER).
          For external use only.

Comment

Working...
          X