This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok won't start

I was trying to upgrade my Nvidia driver from generic to GeForce6200. Evidentally in the process I messed something up to the point of Amarok not loading due to the error below. I am on Kubuntu Feisty Fawn (just upgraded last week from Slackware). Also, using Adept Manager installed Exaile music/media player. It will open, however play no streams or MP3's. My system audio (errors alerts, etc) is working, just not music. I have removed Amarok and re-installed it with no luck. I have seen posts close to this on other forums but not pertaining to Kubuntu.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. aandyb@andy:~$ amarok
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 167
    Major opcode: 144
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    Failed to open device
    Amarok: [Loader] Starting amarokapp..
    Amarok: [Loader] Don't run gdb, valgrind, etc. against this binary! Use amarokapp.
    amarokapp: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    andyb@andy:~$

Re: Amarok won't start

Originally posted by dmv_andyb

Failed to open device
    Failed to open device
    I know this makes it very confusing, but these errors are not related to running Amarok -- they're caused by some dumb choices in the X display defaults, which assume everyone uses tablet PCs. Search on "wacom" and you'll probably find the information about which lines and stanzas of your /etc/xorg.conf file need to be commented out.

As far as the actual Amarok errors, that's weird! Did you select Amarok from the packaged drivers (using Adept), or did you download it and attempt to install it that way?

Comment

Do you have all the codecs installed/updated, such as Xine and Gstreamer extra plugins? This was a problem for me when I first tried to play mp3's with Kaffeine.

Comment

I already had it installed, then removed and re-installed via Adept. I will try your suggestions and thank you very much for a quick response!

A

Comment

For the non-free codecs, just add the Medibuntu repository to your sources list. Click the "Repository How-To" on this site, and follow the instructions for Feisty or your version if it's not Feisty.

Comment

Added Medibuntu to my repository list and, using Adept installed/updated the following packages:

ffmpeg
            k3b
            kaffeine
            kaffeine-xine
            libavcodec-dev
            libavcodec0d
            libavformat-dev
            libavformat0d
            libk3b-dev
            libk3b2
            libk3b2-mp3
            libpostproc-dev
            libpostproc0d

I am not sure which codecs (suggested by audiodef) to install for Xine and Gstreamer as when I type those names in Adept, many files appear.

I still get the same error when launching Amarok from a command line (or it just hangs when starting via the KDE Start Menu. I also can't get sound when trying to play radio stations using Exhaile.

So in short, I think I need more help. Thanks in advance for your patience!

A

Comment

What does "ls -Al /usr/lib/libGL.so*" say?
              For external use only.

Comment

ls: /usr/lib/libGL.so*: No such file or directory

Comment

Sorry to take the easy route out, but a fresh install of Feisty Fawn did the trick. I was noticing many other issues on my system and figured it to be some corruption that was not worth finding. Either way, thanks for all of the help!

Comment

It's good that you got your Kubuntu system working right, one way or the other. It seems (unfortunately) that a lot of us have to do the installation process multiple times to get one right -- "practice", I call it. :P

Comment

True! It is as tight as it has ever been (which by saying I have just cursed myself). I will let it run then try to install Wobbly Windows which will REALLY throw me into the learning depths!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dmv_andyb

I will let it run then try to install Wobbly Windows which will REALLY throw me into the learning depths!
                        Wow, this may be more of a curse than the other thing you said!

You can look at the "Image Gallery" on the main Forum menu above, and see my little Beryl screenshot -- it proves there is hope for even the addled senior citizens! 8)

Comment

Working...
                        X