This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video player problem

I got very strange problem when playing VCD and DVD, this happens on all video player I installed, the most troubling ones are Xine based, none of them works but crashed when I try to play any disc, VLC doesn't crash but does not play as well, Mplayer is little better at least it can play VCD but not DVD, I know this is something to do with the video engine, I am using ATI PCI which works well on previous version out of the box w/o any setting, I don't know what caused the crash in this version, and I've far less problem with other light weight distro like Puppy and DSL, I wondering why sophisticated distro like Ubuntu can't do it well.
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: Video player problem

haven't got a clue.
    but just to clear the ground from basic stuff...
    you have libdvdcss2 installed, yeah?
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

How do I check that, and I've no problem first time install Feisty, now it can't read any DVD disc, but the desktop does show the disk when inserted, not didn't show when VCD insert although I can play it, strange.

Comment

alright...

if you have a fresh kubuntu installation, then libdvdcss2 will not be installed.
        therefore, you will not be able to view dvds.

as to why a sophisticated distro like ubuntu doesn't have this by default...
        well, it goes down to legal issues in the u-s-of-a:

Please NOTE that downloading and installing w32codecs, libdvdcss2 and other non-free
        codecs without paying a fee to the concerned authorities constitutes a CRIME in the
        United States of America.

Hence if you are viewing this message from anywhere in the United States of America,
        please do not install option AUD-DVD codecs. If you are not from the United States of
        America, and take full responsibility for the legal consequences of downloading and installing
        the afore-mentioned codecs, then you can go ahead and install the same.
        the above quote is taken from the splash screen of a utility called automatix.
        this utility is very helpful to newbies (in my opinion) to install all the non linux specific software.

so, i suggest you install automatix, first, following this guide.
        you will be requested to work from a terminal.
        that's: k-menu -> system -> terminal program (konsole).
        then, just copy&paste the instructions in there.

when you're through, start the tool from: k-menu -> system -> graphical installer script for k/ubuntu (automatix)
        and then use it to install all the applications and codecs you need.

if you're in the u-s-of-a, of course, you know you'll be an outlaw...

hth
        cheers
        gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Yeah automatix....... don't worry I am in some place safe

Comment

DVD playback problems are related to proprietary codecs that can't be included in the GNU public license, and there fore, can't be included in a distribution of Linux. My post of what I had to do to get DVD playback to work is found here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084120.0
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X