This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Su returned with an error.

that would be the message i get every time i try to do any administrator or root action. i have tried to change th e root password and even edit the hosts file in /etc. but every time i attempt to make any root changes i get this error. i am not even able to open up root in terminal. i believe it all started when i added a hard drive. but i believe i added the privileges to the hard drive to the group that i was already in. if they is any way any one would be able to help it would be greatly appreciated.
    ps: let me know if im lacking any information that you may need to help me solve this problem.

Re: Su returned with an error.

http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....o#root_revival

Comment

doesn't work. i can enter the command in terminal but it wont respond. and as far as editing a file i am unable to do that as well...

Comment

- What does /etc/sudoers contain?
        - What does kdesu kate result in?

Comment

i am not even able to access /etc/sudoers . it tells me that i dont have enough permissions to do so. and when i run kdesu kate by pushing alt f2 it says that su has come back with an error. unless i need to enter it into terminal. in witch case just let me know. thanks for your attempts to help thus far.

Comment

Hmmm ... what groups does your user (account) belong to? Just key in id and post the results, please ...

Comment

uid=1000(dkmode) gid=1000(dkmode) groups=1(daemon),2(bin),3(sys),4(adm),5(tty),6 (disk),7(lp),8(mail),9(news),10(uucp),12(man),13(p roxy),15(kmem),20(dialout),21( fax),22(voice),24(cdrom),25(floppy),26(tape),27(su do),29(audio),30(dip),33(www-d ata),34(backup),37(operator),38(list),39(irc),40(s rc),41(gnats),42(shadow),43(ut mp),44(video),45(sasl),46(plugdev),50(staff),60(ga mes),100(users),101(dhcp),102( syslog),103(klog),104(ssl-cert),105(crontab),106(ssh),107(messagebus),108(av ahi) ,109(lpadmin),110(haldaemon),111(scanner),112(sloc ate),114(avahi-autoipd),115(ne tdev),116(nvram),117(powerdev),1000(dkmode),1001(m bnrade),65534(nogroup)

Comment

dkmode,
                (K)Ubuntu doesn't use su, but rather root/administrator tasks are completed for example:

sudo apt-get install; or sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list or sudo chmod 777 myfile

Comment

if you wouldn't mind explaining that a little dumber for me it would be greatly appreciated. b/c if i cant access root terminal then those commands wont even work in regular terminal right? and i dont have permission to change or install anything at all...

Comment

Originally posted by dkmode
                    gid = [and endless list]
                    Ooops ... adding the user (account) to every group available is not exactly a wise move; in addition, the account is lacking the membership to admin (not: "adm") - which on (K)Ubuntu systems is a prerequisite of sorts ...

Following the comparable feedback from my main workstation:

Code:
                    USER # id
                    uid=1000(birdy) gid=1000(birdy) groups=4(adm),24(cdrom),29(audio),
                    44(video),46(plugdev),109(lpadmin),111(scanner),113(admin),1000(birdy)
                    You get the idea, I suppose

To revert the account(s) to a more useful state, however, I'd reboot to a live system and review the installed /etc/group "from there" (further reading).

--

Postscript: reference updated

Comment

dkmod,
                      sudo is the prefix that allows you to run commands as root. Kubuntu/Ubuntu are configured to not allow root access via "su" to root. You can change this if you need to, search the wikis/forums/google for "running as root ubuntu." Yes, sudo is run in your terminal window from the command line.

So for example, with Konsole open you type:

sudo top runs top as root user
                      sudo apt-get install abiword installs abiword.

All software can either be installed from Adept or from the commandline using sudo apt-get

Comment

k i will get right on it. yea i thought it was a good idea at the time. but ill let you know how it turns out. thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by adamsjw2
                          dkmod,
                          sudo is the prefix that allows you to run commands as root. Kubuntu/Ubuntu are configured to not allow root access via "su" to root. You can change this if you need to, search the wikis/forums/google for "running as root ubuntu." Yes, sudo is run in your terminal window from the command line.

So for example, with Konsole open you type:

sudo top runs top as root user
                          sudo apt-get install abiword installs abiword.

All software can either be installed from Adept or from the commandline using sudo apt-get
                          gotcha

Comment

Working...
                          X