This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programming Packages

Hey all, I just finished installing my fresh copy of kubuntu. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with any links on newbie programming on Linux, and what packages to install to get them up and running. There seems to be a lot to choose from.I have some experience with C and C++, and will eventually get into Python, lisp and some HTML and XML.

Re: Programming Packages

Originally posted by Jimenez
    Hey all, I just finished installing my fresh copy of kubuntu. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with any links on newbie programming on Linux, and what packages to install to get them up and running. There seems to be a lot to choose from.I have some experience with C and C++, and will eventually get into Python, lisp and some HTML and XML.
    Check these sites out : http://www.linux.org/apps/ and this http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html (Gives a better table of equivalents)
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

The most basic stuff you need for compiling apps will be GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection. You can install this, along with the other essential utilities, by installing the build-essential package.

Python is installed by default (because some Kubuntu programs use Python, and Ubuntu in general has a romantic relationship with Python).

As for IDE's, there's KDevelop for KDE/Qt/C++/C and Eric3 for Python. You can also use Kate (which actually stands for KDE Advanced Text Editor) for programming, in case you feel that a full blown IDE is too much for your needs. Kate has syntax highlighting, line numbers, code folding, and an embedded terminal as well.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Thank you for all the great help, i was able to find what i was looking for, plus more!!

Comment

Working...
        X