Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No sound in Yahoo Games when Amarok is running.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound in Yahoo Games when Amarok is running.

Hello all, I'm fairly new to linux.

I am running the 32 bit version on an HP amd 64 machine with on board sound.

I like to play Yahoo games, especially Literati and listen to music at the same time with Amarok. However, the sound in Literati will not work while I am listening to Amarok. IF there is an easy fix to this I would appreciate it. I am not so good with the command line.

I have the latest Java plugin as well.

Re: No sound in Yahoo Games when Amarok is running.

I ran into this before on 'pogo', which is also an 'all java driven site' like Yahoo games..... hhhmmm... -pondering brain- Ok, luckily my terminal had the commands cached.

In a terminal paste or type

sudo apt-get install alsa-oss

and hit enter. Input your 'root' password when prompted.
    Let it do it's thing, then type/paste this.

sudo gedit /etc/firefox/firefoxrc

and hit enter.

Find this line.
    FIREFOX_DSP='none'

Replace it with this one.
    FIREFOX_DSP='aoss'

Be sure to save the file before exiting.

Restart FireFox and all should be fine. This solution worked for me, and hopefully it will for you also.

GL!
    Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

Probably using Kubuntu so change

Code:
      sudo gedit /etc/firefox/firefoxrc
      to

Code:
      kdesu kwrite /etc/firefox/firefoxrc
      in the above instructions.

Comment

Yeah, I forgot I DID install gedit. Any text editor, like Nano will work also.

THANKS for catching that, sometimes I forget I've more software installed than the 'base install' gives.
        -cheers-
        as in ale, not pompoms
        Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

Thank you both for your help. I am running Kubuntu.

I tried the above and it didn't work, but I haven't restarted my computer or firefox yet, I will have to try this tomorrow. Off to the Rush Concert at the Garden State Arts Center, in NJ. well to the Jersey shore for the day first.

They will work one at a time but not both at the same time. Also it takes a long time for the Java Applett in yahoo games to load, it loads fast actually but it takes like a minute before I am able to type anything in the chat window.

Comment

Working...
          X