X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAID 6 server -- I can't access /srv or /var

I am new to Linux, so...
    I think I'm making a simple filesystem mistake so hopefully this will be easy for one of you champs out there to solve.

I have recently installed Kubuntu 7.04 (via alternate cd - oem install) and presently have 5 x500GB drives in raid 6 configured in mdadm (http://kangry.com/topics/viewcomment.php?index=61)

My partitions are:

2x 40GB drives in RAID1:
    20GB of ext3 for /
    2GB of swap
    18GB of ext3 for /home

5x 500GB drives in RAID6:
    1.5TB of xfs for /var (I have also tried /srv)

The problem is I don't know how to access the RAID6. I can see it (/var or /srv) in the root folder but I can't seem to move anything there or create a new file.
    I know it is mounted. In /etc/fstab everything looks a-ok.

Is /var or /srv the best option or should I mount with a different name? (or is it something completely arbitrary)

I'm really stumped.
    Thanks.

*update*
    I think the swap partition has moved itself into onto a 1kb partition on a drive in the raid6 array instead of on my boot drive where I told it to be upon install (the swap is on partition sda1, whereas sda5 is a 498gb logical partition for RAID instead of the boot drive)
    settings:/System/ "disks and file systems" seems to tell me this at least.

Re: RAID 6 server -- I can't access /srv or /var

I think the reason that nobody's answering is because we have no clue what you're doing.
    You may want to consult this.

That out of the way, you seem to have it mounted and everything, but the problem is that you can't write to it.
    That's probably because you're trying to write as a user, and it's writable only by root. Read up on su and kdesu.

(As for your swap moving to a 1 kB partition, no, it didn't. That 1 kB partition is there because of limitations of partitioning, I think. The output of "mount" would be helpful here.)
    For external use only.

Comment

Re: RAID 6 server -- I can't access /srv or /var

Originally posted by SheeEttin
      I think the reason that nobody's answering is because we have no clue what you're doing.
      Yeah, I guess I forgot to include why...
      I am building a small server to connect 4-5 workstations is a design studio environment. A single RAID6 Samba server with netatalk seems most appropriate in a mixed Mac/XP environment.

Anyway I found what I needed despite overcoming a bit of insanity:
      It was a Samba permissions issue. (I probably should have mentioned Samba in my original post huh?)

I found a tutorial in the ubuntu forums for setting up Samba -- even though I thought I had it setup already.

Code:
      sudo chmod 0777 /srv/samba
      This is the permission setting I had not set. Now I can finally use the 1.4TB of space. (after 4 days of searching...)

Comment

Working...
      X