This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Screen Resolution causes complete X crash

I just installed Kubuntu on my laptop and, even though during the alternate installation I chose to have the resolution set to 1440x800, It defaults to 800x600. Then, when in KDE, I try to change the resolution to 1440x800 and after restarting X it gives me a single blinking text-mode cursor in the upper-left. Reboot results in the same cursor. Only real way to recover is to reinstall OS.

I searched the forums for any similar information and came up with the following:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3080390.0

I tried running X in recovery mode, but this does not appear to work.

The laptop is the following:
    Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 (1.8GHz)
    Intel 965 Chipset running with the Intel 3100 shared-ram graphics
    Max Screen Resolution: 1440x800
    2GB RAM

I was unable to install Kubuntu using the normal install CD because it simply does not boot. I read that the normal CD is impossible to boot with the Vaio FZ series laptops and that the alternate install disc is currently the only option.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge to this problem - although I run a Ubuntu server elsewhere and am pretty familiar with Linux, I am new to Kubuntu and my only previous experience with KDE is Mandriva (not going back to that).

Any suggestions?
    -The Monty

Re: Changing Screen Resolution causes complete X crash

Did you try reconfiguring the X-server using the command sudo dpkg-reconfigure xorg? What happens when you chose recovery mode?
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Working...
    X