This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scratchy sound when CD ripped into ogg, mp3, wav

I'm having problems with a certain CD. When I turn it into an ogg file using Konqueror audiocd:/ I always get a "scratchy" sound at the beginning of the first track that doesn't disappear for about a minute.

I have experimented a few times with this and I'm reasonably certain that it is a software problem for the following reasons:

1. I have two CD-ROM drives on my PC. The same scratchy sound can be reproduced whenever I rip from one drive or the other. It is highly unlikely that if the CD-ROM drive was the problem, that two drives would exhibit the same problem.

2. When I play the CD, either via KsCD or on my CD player in another room, the track has no scratchy sounds. The CD must be okay since it plays okay on KsCD and on my CD player.

3. I've used KWave to do the ripping instead of Konqueror. Same problem.

4. When I have ripped the track as ogg, mp3 or wav file, the scratchy sound is there.

The problem with this one particular track on one particular CD means that other CDs in my collection may also exhibit the same problem (as yet I have not discovered one yet... but I have a couple of hundred so the chances are it will crop up again)
    P4-2.66<br />320gb HDD<br />256mb Radeon 9200 SE<br />On-Board LAN<br />2gb RAM<br />17&quot; Monitor<br />CD-RW Drive<br />DVD-R/RW Drive<br />http://www.one-salient-oversight.blogspot.com/

Re: Scratchy sound when CD ripped into ogg, mp3, wav

Well.. First of all, clean the cable from the CD player to the audio card. It's normally gray.

If this cable is not present, then the audio is trying to stream down the IDE cable. As far as I know, Nix does not support that, however WinDO$ does therefore there is not need for the 'patch' cable.

Let us know.
    -cheers-
    As in ale, not pompoms.
    Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

Onboard sound... no cable.

I can still listen to the CD via KsCD. Doesn't that mean that the audio is streaming down the IDE cable?
      P4-2.66<br />320gb HDD<br />256mb Radeon 9200 SE<br />On-Board LAN<br />2gb RAM<br />17&quot; Monitor<br />CD-RW Drive<br />DVD-R/RW Drive<br />http://www.one-salient-oversight.blogspot.com/

Comment

Not if there is a patch cable. I mean, Nix COULD have updated since my last bout with that, but I always install one.

Anyrate, I've been pondering this, and I am not satisfied thinking it's hardware. I'd say try different codecs or something. Maybe google it.

Sorry I was not more help.
        Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

I had a problem with converting avi movies and DVD's with scratchy sound. There is a bug dealing with mencoder and mplayer. Go here:

http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html

Scroll to the bottom and download the package with the functional versions of Mplayer/Mencoder (6 Mbytes).

Install according to the Read Me and it might fix the problem it did for me. The bug seems to only effect fiesty.

Comment

I suggest to try to rip it with other software. Have you tried with K3B or Audacity?
            Ciao,<br />Valter

Comment

Working...
            X