Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kmail - Kubuntu 7.04 - Config window doesn't open.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail - Kubuntu 7.04 - Config window doesn't open.

I am unable to configure Kmail because when I click on the configuration option, nothing comes on the screen.

This part is included because I removed Kmail earlier and reinstalled. What I did may have something to do with my problem, however, if you are experienced you may not wish to read this.

I want to use LINUX applications where ever possible. Originally, I was unable to configure Kmail and make it work. I installed and use Thunderbird, which works beautifully, but I really want to use the orginal Linux applications where ever possible. After getting a little more experience, I re-applied Kmail using Adept Manager. Following installation, Kmail does not appear on the applications tree. The only way I can find it is to type alt+f2 and enter Kmail. When it comes on the screen, I click on the configuration option and nothing happens. Should I uninstall Kmail and try again, or can I learn by understanding the fix? I hate to trouble you, but I want to come up to speed with LINUX as fast as I am able and not just take the easy road to operation. Thanks if you have the time.

Re: Kmail - Kubuntu 7.04 - Config window doesn't open.

kmail is integrated in kontact.
    it can be "detached", but have a go with kontact, first.
    start kontact, in the menu on the left had side, you should see the mail client icon.
    if you don't, then click "Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Select Components".
    then check the mail check box.
    try this first...
    see if you have the same behaviour.
    cheers.
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: Kmail - Kubuntu 7.04 - Config window doesn't open.

Thank you for the help. I finally decided to use Thunderbird. Other things became problematic after I made this post. After removing kmail, an annoying window kept coming up requesting that I make changes. The changes they were requesting were what caused the configuration problems in the first place. They would not accept my pop or smtp addresses. in one they changed the name from att to sbcglobal and the other they changed from .com to .net. They would never accept the correct addresses and then when it didn't work, they sent an annoying order to correct the changes that kmail actually made. It was a loup that I could not get out from. And the warning just kept coming on the screen even though I had removed Kmail from my system. I am sure Kmail is a very good program and the problem is caused by something I am doing, however, I don't have problems with other mail programs and have never encountered the kind of problems that Kmail produces. Additionally, with you as an exception, no one else has been willing or interested to attempt a solution. I apologize to you if I appear a quitter, but the problem was taking up all my time for weeks. I finally had to dump the problem. Really, I would rather use LINUX applications. Thunderbird works now with no problems. Thanks for your attempt.

Comment

Working...
      X