X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java and Firefox

hello,

what's an easy way to get firefox work with java 6 ?

in some threads they are talking about to install java6 and the according java plugin. but in my repositories there is no java plugin... except for a pretty old one.

an installation with automatix didn't work either...

my system is a x86-64 and i'm using kubuntu 7.04 64-bit.
    in my opinion it's pretty hard to get java installed so that the browsers firefox / konqueror can use it...

any help would be very fine!

Cheers,
    Flo

Re: Java and Firefox

If (from Firefox) you click "Tools>Add-ons>get extensions>plugins", I see a Java plugin listed about 3 or 4 down. Is that what you are looking for?

Comment

well, I don't know...

I have to use java in firefox but I'm not able to...

is there a simple step by step instruction how to get the latest sun java packages work with firefox 2.0.0.4?

Thanks!

Cheers,
      Flo

Comment

Not that I'm aware of, but I'll bet that your older installation is the one causing the issues.

Look in $HOME/.mozilla/plugins and see if you have a file or link named libjavaplugin.so - if so, delete it.

If not, look in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins - if you've properly installed the sun-java6-plugin package, there should be a link named libjavaplugin.so and it should be pointing to /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so (which is another soft-link to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so). If you have something different, delete it and re-install the plugin package.
        E. A. (Ed) Graham, Jr.<br />Professional Java Geek<br />Linux User #28251

Comment

thanks for the information!

my problem is, I have no sun-java6-plugin package to install...there is no plugin package at all to install from my repositories...so what should I do know?

where can I find this plugin? isn't it available for 64-bit machines?

Cheers,
          Flo

Comment

ok...I reinstalled the damn thing with the 32-bit kubuntu 7.04 and guess what...

the flash-plugin installed automatically in firefox...
            and in the adept manager there was this damn java plugin package I needed...in the 64-bit repository there wasn't the plugin package....no clue why it's missing there....

this is really poor for the x86-64 platform i guess...really poor!!!
            I'm a little disappointed about that.

Fazit1: on trying linux (kubuntu).
            32-bit seams to be fine - at least with automatix2 the nvidia drivers installed properly which is a very cool feature and should be implemented out of the box...
            Fazit2: the huge amount of different distributions kills linux...but that's only my opinion. there is always a difference between the distributions and I'm not that expierenced to solve the troubles...so ONE standard would be great. and this should be implemented in each distro...
            Fazit3: although I'm pretty satisfied on the development process - I initially started with Suse 5.x and now it's much more easier to setup a running system! So respect to all people who do this great job improving that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by invader78
              thanks for the information!

my problem is, I have no sun-java6-plugin package to install...there is no plugin package at all to install from my repositories...so what should I do know?

where can I find this plugin? isn't it available for 64-bit machines?

Cheers,
              Flo
              I'm having the same problem. Does the package not exist for 64-bit machines?

I have all the correct repositories added, and I installed sun-java6-bin and sun-java6-jre but there is no sun-java6-plugin nor a sun-java5-plugin.

There was a package my wife found after I left for work, and I believe it was called firefox-java-plugin, but it old, and it also required me to uninstall the sun-java6-bin and sun-java6-jre before the plugin would install.

I heard that most of Sun's JAVA is GPL now. Is there a place I can download the pertinent Java 6 plugin code and compile it?

Comment

Sun does indeed not provide a 64-bit Java plug-in (not for Linux and also not for Windows).

Java is going to be / is already open source, but it is not so easy like: download the sources, compile for 64-bit and voila. If it would have been that easy, then Sun would have provided a 64-bit plug-in long ago!

So for now if you want to have Java in your browser on your 64-bit system, you will need to use 32-bit Firefox and the 32-bit Java plug-in. (Yes, these work on a 64-bit system too).

Comment

Working...
                X