This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu package menu - Sucks?

About rightclick on a deb file and choose install. why dont it install any Depending files?
    And it should install them, works perfect in Ubuntu but not in kubuntu?
    Anyone know why its like this?

Tried alot of different .deb files and none of them work to install, need to go to adept all the time and install the missing files first. But in ubuntu i didnt had too.....

Re: Kubuntu package menu - Sucks?

The answer is quite simple: The 2 are completely different. In Ubuntu, the program that handles this is called Gdebi. It's obviously a GNOME-only app. In Kubuntu, this is simply handled by a script that runs dpkg in a terminal (xterm). DPKG, by itself, doesn't install dependencies. That's what APT is for. Gdebi is a special app that tries to resolve those dependencies.

A port of Gdebi for KDE/Kubuntu is being made. Hopefully it will be in Kubuntu 7.10.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

sounds very nice....i hope they can get it in 7.10

Comment

That sounds really great! I hope they can have that by then. Would be nice

Comment

Read about apt and apt-get and/or try out synaptic. To be prepared in case you run into problems, read some short compilation of how to use dpkg.

For me, the Kubuntu menu for installing software ist working, but I seldom use it because typing something like "apt-get install firefox" is much faster.
          Important: all these programs and front-ends do the same and do create and use the same database about installed software on your computer. So choose whichever you like most.

Comment

Working...
          X