This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kb3 and MP3

I have been trying for a while to get k3b to support mp3 files. I have k3b, libk3b-dev, libk3b2 and lib3b2-mp3 all installed.
    Still no support for mp3. What do I need to do to get k3b to work with mp3 or is this even possible?

Yeah I have used search and looked at all the other posts on this subject and nothing in any of them helped me with this issue.

Re: Kb3 and MP3

Originally posted by Batpuppy
    I have been trying for a while to get k3b to support mp3 files. I have k3b, libk3b-dev, libk3b2 and lib3b2-mp3 all installed.
    Still no support for mp3. What do I need to do to get k3b to work with mp3 or is this even possible?

Yeah I have used search and looked at all the other posts on this subject and nothing in any of them helped me with this issue.
    Normally, K3B tells you what files to look for. However, have you tried installing lame? Namely the following packages:

lame
    lame-extras
    liblame-dev
    liblame0

MP3 files need the lame codec to be able to play. Install these and you should be fine.
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Originally posted by Princey

Normally, K3B tells you what files to look for. However, have you tried installing lame? Namely the following packages:

lame
      lame-extras
      liblame-dev
      liblame0

MP3 files need the lame codec to be able to play. Install these and you should be fine.
      Yeah I have lame installed. I have to use other programs to convert or rip to mp3 and then I can use k3b to burn the cds. I guess they still have a few more bugs to work out in K3b.

Comment

lame
        lame-extras
        liblame-dev
        liblame0

Yeah I have lame installed. I have to use other programs to convert or rip to mp3 and then I can use k3b to burn the cds. I guess they still have a few more bugs to work out in K3b.
        I don't think the problem is with k3b. I haven't put a lot of effort into it but I can't get k3b to rip a video DVD even though it is supposed to be able to do it and I have seen write ups that claim this to be a very stable feature. I suspect that either Debian or kubuntu has changed something that breaks K3b. If I get the time and energy I will post what I find out.

Comment

I run Kubuntu 64bit and I did get the same error messages. But after installing the packages I mentioned, the message disappeared and I've burned several mp3s to CD. Did you check to see if the 4 packages I mentioned are there?

@ ArkRoyal, K3b does rip DVD's here for me. Just not the commercially encrypted ones. For that, you need dvdrip.
          Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

I run Kubuntu 64bit and I did get the same error messages. But after installing the packages I mentioned, the message disappeared and I've burned several mp3s to CD. Did you check to see if the 4 packages I mentioned are there?

@ ArkRoyal, K3b does rip DVD's here for me. Just not the commercially encrypted ones. For that, you need dvdrip.
            Yeah I have all the lame files and everything else that been mentioned that might help K3b with MP3. I found I can't even burn cds with K3b anyway and it crashes and I have to do a hard reboot. Anyway I decided to use gnomebaker to burn CDs and sound juicer to rip them and convert to mp3. Both of these programs would well with no issues. It would be nice to have one program that could do it all so maybe I check out k3b again later on when it is hopefully more stable.

Comment

Sorry to hear that and it's weird that it's misbehaving. I've never experienced any problems with k3b whatsoever. There are times when certain cd's give me problems on my Windows machine. I just switch over to my Linux box and k3b does it without a problem.

Comment

Well, I just got K3b back! This is about the third time I've fixed the damned thing, so I'll review the issues, errrrr features.

1. You need the mad-related packages: libmad-ocaml, libmad-ocaml-dev, libmad0, and libmad0-dev. I think you may need to enable the Medibuntu repository to get these.

2. You need the lame packages listed above by Princey.

3. You need the packages libk3b2 and libk3b2-mp3.

4. You need a fair breeze and perhaps to burn some chicken feathers down at the Linux temple.

:P

Comment

I don't get it I have had no problems burning disks using Slackware Or Gentoo Yes Slackware was a mission to download source and compile so I could burn VCD's.

Now I have got the mp3 support working but the thing hangs when I start the burn after the writing of the TOC yes I have some more testing to do and get the dma on the burner channel and for that matter I am pretty sure DMA on any disk is not going.

At around this point K3B Goes good night and take the CD Burner with it A reboot fixes the CD Burner

Comment

This may be worth a shot, download and install the trial version of Nero Linux and see if you get into the same problems.

Comment

Not a stupid idea. I have yet to try the command line yet I have the DMA working now too many things to do not enough time

Comment

Hi there everyone. I'm having problems with this too. I can't get K3B to rip CD tracks as mp3 files.

K3B gives me two choices - ogg or wave.

I've installed all the following files as per people's suggestions on this thread:

lame
                        lame-extras
                        liblame-dev
                        liblame0
                        libmad-ocaml
                        libmad-ocaml-dev
                        libmad0
                        libmad0-dev
                        libk3b2
                        libk3b2-mp3

After all that I go into K3B and it still only gives me the options of ripping in ogg or wave.

In Settings --> Configure k3b --> plugins I have the following under "AudioEncoder":

K3b External Audio Controller - Sebastian Trueg
                        K3b Ogg Vorbis Encoder - Sebastian Trueg
                        K3b SoX Audio Encoder - Sebastian Trueg

No Lame there in the plugins.

MAD Decoder exists in the AudioDecoder section.

In Settings --> Configure k3b --> Programs there is a section called "transcode" which has the following options:

/usr/bin/transcode for xvid, lame, ffmpeg, ac3
                        /usr/bin/x11/trasncode for xvid, lame, ffmpeg, ac3

You can click on either one as the default. There doesn't seem to be any difference in which one you check - I still can't get k3b to rip CD tracks as mp3s.
                        P4-2.66<br />320gb HDD<br />256mb Radeon 9200 SE<br />On-Board LAN<br />2gb RAM<br />17&quot; Monitor<br />CD-RW Drive<br />DVD-R/RW Drive<br />http://www.one-salient-oversight.blogspot.com/

Comment

Salient, I think you do have lame there, let's just see. Just where you went, let's go back there for a bit.

1. Open k3b

2. Go to "settings" then "configure k3b"

3. Click on "plugins" on the left hand side.

4. For the section AudioEncoder, click on the first item that should read k3b External Audio Encoder Sebastien Trueg then chose "configure" towards the bottom of that window. Doesn't it say "Lame mp3" when the next window opens?

Comment

No it doesn't.

I've tried to put in all the info that I can:

Mp3, /usr/bin/lame, %f

Just tried it after entering the info manually. Doesn't work.

I definitely have lame. But k3b isn't wanting to use it.
                            P4-2.66<br />320gb HDD<br />256mb Radeon 9200 SE<br />On-Board LAN<br />2gb RAM<br />17&quot; Monitor<br />CD-RW Drive<br />DVD-R/RW Drive<br />http://www.one-salient-oversight.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'd suggest a reinstall of K3b.

By the way, you might like to know that /usr/bin/X11 is just a symlink to /usr/bin. There's no difference between the two.
                              For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                              X