X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Disk Encryption

Hi,
    I am looking for some advice on whole disk encryption.
    I have an 80 GB drive, single partition, on an Athelon 2000 system runnings Kubuntu Feisty (working fine thank you).

I would like to run a whole disk encryption program on the computer
    The program needs to be able to encrypt the drive without destroying the data that is already there. I have looked at TrueCrypt but it fails my number one requirement . I do not want to reload.

Thanks for any advice and/or recommendations
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Re: Whole Disk Encryption

not the faintest idea...
    but found this
    linked from here
    hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Try looking in the repositories for cryptography software. In Adept (K Menu > System > Adept Manager), search for "crypt".
      For external use only.

Comment

I found this app some while ago when I was looking that same as what you are requesting now.

I haven't tested it yet however...

http://www.ce-infosys.com/english/pr..._compusec.html

Comment

Re: Whole Disk Encryption (Possible solution)

For anyone looking for a solution to non-destructive whole disk encryption, this appears to be an answer. I'll try it and post the results.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...47&postcount=2
          Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Re: Whole Disk Encryption (Possible solution)

I'm no crypto expert but I'd be wary of closed-source implementations unless you have good reason to trust the company that makes it. By using it you agree (via the T&Cs) not to reverse-engineer it, which can be a bit suspect sometimes. Have a look around various Linux fora to see what people say about it.

Comment

Unfortunately, I am unable to follow the instructions at http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...47&postcount=2

So, still no joy!

Comment

If you'd like help with it, I imagine it would assist if you give details of why you weren't able to follow the instructions

Did you try it?

Comment

Thank you halfer for your insight. I am unable to follow the instructions because they are written for Gentoo. Referenced procedures do not correspond to my distro of choice.

Comment

Working...
                  X