This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install for standalone Kubuntu PC

I have a standalone Kubuntu PC. I would like to install Beryl but have no idea. I have downloaded all the beryl packages but I need advice on what to do now.

I have unzipped the files but would love some ideas or links for assistance.

Regards

Karti

Re: Install for standalone Kubuntu PC

Welcome to Kubuntu

There are so many post here on this forum concerning beryl and its installation procedures (about 13 pages full at last count). Depending on your video card and a few other things.
    Please do a search here and/or on google. www.google.com
    first.
    If you don't come up with anything useful then someone here can surely help, but you have to be a bit more specific like cpu, motherboard, video card, Monitor, RAM, etc.

Happy hunting and enjoy
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

There are pages of installation ideas, but they all relate to apt-get from the internet. I was wondering how to do it on a standalone.

I will still look on the net but it was more for advice and pointers that I was after.

K

Comment

If you don't come up with anything useful then someone here can surely help, but you have to be a bit more specific like cpu, motherboard, video card, Monitor, RAM, etc.
        Can we start here, please?
        Bthw installing beryl on your machine if you have all the beryl stuff on board already is mostly about configuring your xorg (video driver) and this can be done by editing a few files or if need be getting some stuff like drivers from the net. It is easier with apt-get simply because apt-get takes care of any dependancies which otherwise can be a serious pain in the.... So we will need that info.
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Karti
          I have downloaded all the beryl packages but I need advice on what to do now.
          Karti, if you are new to Linux and/or Kubuntu, I would STRONGLY advise AGAINST downloading software, for the moment, until you are experienced and comfortable installing it that way. Kubuntu is a Debian Linux, and as such is designed to use "packaged" software applications. These packages, 22,000+ of them including Beryl, are found in the "repositories" (places on the Internet, plus on your installation CD). You use your Adept (or Synaptic) package manager, which is already on your system, to select packages for installation.

It is possible to download and configure packages for installation, but it is not advisable for the novice -- you can mess up your system (and your positive attitude) doing that.

Comment

As always I agree with your logic. But I think Karti wants to do this from a "standalone" machine. I take it this machine is not on the net so he is missing all the advantages of apt-get, adept, synaptic.
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhh ( lightbulb comes on ) -- I see now!

I'm sure it is possible to make a "CD Repo" out of the downloaded packages. But I would be afraid -- I think I would have to "borrow" someone's Internet connection for a little while ....

Good luck with it Karti!

Comment

If you do it this way, you're going to get a big headache.

I highly suggest you get your machine to a place with an Internet connection to install Beryl.
                For external use only.

Comment

Well, I'll probably get a lot of stick for this and I agree with both dible and Sheetin.But if the possiblity of a net connection is not an issue I would get myself the pclinuxos 2007 live cd.
                  It has beryl, etc. preinstalled and if it works use that.
                  Don't get me wrong I use and love all things kubuntu, but we are here to give advice and lacking specs on your hardware and an internet connection, this would inho the best way to delve into the wonders of the linu world.

Cheers
                  F
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Ahh...so I could perhaps take the packages from the Live disk...now that is an idea...

Many thanks

Karti

Comment

That is not really what I meant. I meant using pclinuxos 2007
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                      X