This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no x windows after nvidia driver install

Hello, I started to follow the instructions on http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/category/compizberyl to make beryl work. I had it working (sort of) and was trying to clear up some errors. I got to the part where it had me restart x and now I cant get a graphical interface. I have tride removing nvidia-glx and linux-k7 that I had installed per the instructions and I swictched to the backup of xorg.conf but no luck. sadly I was going to have a client over this morning to work on a web design and show off how cool kubuntu is and now there is nothing to show.

PLEASE, if there is anyone that can help me today I would greatly appriciate it.

P.S. I don't know how to IRC from windows, as that is what I am reduced to. >

Re: no x windows after nvidia driver install

Assuming you have a text login prompt, log in and do the following:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    this will run a configuration script. On the first screen, say "no" to "autodect?", and on the second screen choose "VESA" as the display type. On the following screens you can accept the defaults until you get to the monitor resolution screen. On that one, "x" only one resolution that you would like to work in (and that you know is supported on your system), such as 1024 x 768. On the refresh rate screen, choose a safe range that your display will accept. When the script finishes, it will dump you back to the text prompt. Now type
    Code:
    startx
    and you should get a reasonable GUI, in which to continue your exploration of how to install the appropriate nvidia driver.

HTH

Comment

hi,
      I was using Suse before kubuntu, and I had the same problem in SuSe. There was no X window so only black screen at that time . You will need a command line rpm manager for kubuntu. In SuSe I used command yum to uninstall nvidia drivers from the system. Maybe other guys may help or google will help for this command line rpm manager command.
      regards
      //sezen

Comment

Originally posted by sezen
        You will need a command line rpm manager for kubuntu.
        Correction -- not an "rpm" manager -- Kubuntu is a Debian Linux, and uses "deb" packages. Adept and Synaptic are the GUI package managers, and the command line is "apt-get", which you can read all about by entering
        Code:
        man apt-get
        Nvidia driver packages are listed in the package manager -- you need to review the applicability of the drivers to the various card models.

Comment

Thankyou Dibl!!!!!! That was what I needed! Now I can get back to work.

Comment

Hi Dibl,

I am new in kubuntu just 5 days old . I can make some mistakes. thanks for the clarification.

//sezen

Comment

Originally posted by sezen
              I can make some mistakes.
              I've been making mistakes with my Linux system for over 6 months now -- how else can you learn anything about it?

Comment

Working...
              X