This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying DVD ISOs?

I want to move some DVD ISOs from my Win XP partition to my much larger Kubuntu partition. Rather than start with a move, I tried a copy. Unfortunately the file managers I tried, Konqueror and Kommander both locked up. Kommander did manage to give me a 6.7GB version of the 7.7 GB iso I was trying to move, but obviously that's not much help. Is there anything I can do to facilitate copying these larger files?
    Victoria concordia crescit<br />ओ पालन्हारे ... तुम्रे बिन हम्र कौनोन नहीं

Re: Copying DVD ISOs?

I'd hate to have to do this myself, but there is the console "cp" command -- did you try it that way yet? I'd have to look it up in the manual to get the whole command line requirements (i.e.
    Code:
    man cp
    but I'm pretty sure it works.

Comment

I think cp will work, however, I have always had problems cp from a windows partition because of the syntax windows uses(spaces). Linux console does not like spaces.
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
        I think cp will work, however, I have always had problems cp from a windows partition because of the syntax windows uses(spaces). Linux console does not like spaces.
        I'll give that a go. Happily, the iso files are in my C:\ directory, and have no spaces in their filenames, so the spaces thing shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
          Linux console does not like spaces.
          That's what the single quote is for

Code:
          cp -av '/strange path/strange name' /normal_path

Comment

Happily, my "spaceless" ISO was copied without incident by "cp" - it took a while, of course, but worked just fine.

Comment

Working...
            X