This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k3b doesn't see my blank cd

I'm trying to burn an iso cd with k3b. when i insert a blank cd in the drive it appears on the desktop but k3b doesn't see it and wants me to insert a blank cd. any ideas what's going on??

Re: k3b doesn't see my blank cd

If you have 2 drives, ensure it is looking at the proper one. If it is also a DVD burner, look at the 'media' bar at the bottom and ensure that it is for a 780MB CD and not set for a DVD. I've a double layer burner, and sometimes it tries to mount a 8gb disk when there is a 4.4 in the drive.

Also, I had a HECK of a time getting disks to burn. Sounds dumb, but I changed from Fuji to Maxell disks, and have not had an error since.

GL!
    Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

Sounds dumb, but I changed from Fuji to Maxell disks, and have not had an error since.
      Ditto that. For some unfathomable reason k3b stopped liking fuji.

k3b is great but sometimes a bit too choosy. I would like to see alist of supported CD/DVD brands.

Cheers
      F
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Works fine with my Sony CDRs

Comment

I just copied a movie DVD to a Fuji disc 4.7g. All seems to work well.

I have seen this media type problem with dual layer discs, The burners seem to be more selective here.
          ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Works fine with my Sony CDRs
            Mine doesn't like them either Although my windows nero has no problems with them. But it is a pain to reboot just to burn a cd.
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Very strange!

A similar problem happened to my daughters XP machine recently. Following a format and installation of XP on a (formerly Win98) machine neither the internal DVD burner nor the DVD Rom would read the CD she inserted to install Nero. The only way she was able to install it was to connect my Iomega USB CD burner and to run the install CD from that. First time success.

If I'm burning a CD I will always use that burner, it has never failed to work. Highly recommended kit. May get the DVD version in due course to reduce wear on my Laptops internal DVD writer.

Back to topic. On a general point, anyone who can't burn a CD at all rather than a specific brand should firstly try running K3b as root by the command kdesu K3b. I found that for some time it would only work as root. Does it burn then? If it does, I read a fix on this forum which was to set up a group "burning" and then make the myself as user a member of that group. I don't know whether that is still relevant or whether the fact I don't seem to have any K3b problems is simply because I did that several months ago. Might be worth a try.

Ian

Comment

Sony works fine for me, CD, DVD, CD-RW, and DVD-RW. The really cheap stuff, Imation, will work, but I always get errors and coasters. Whin I say it works, I mean it recognizes it, says it's burning a disc, but verification fails. Never happens with the Sony. Using a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S162L IDE burner. It has an ASUS brand name, but I think it is made by Samsung.

Also, I have seen many CD/DVD burners go belly up because of allowing people to smoke near them. Cigarette smoke will kill them. Another reason to quit.s

Comment

Working...
                X