This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Default settings for Konqueror

I only use Konqueror as a file manager. I've saved the file manager profile, but every time I open Konqueror it reverts back to what it was before and I have to manually switch it to file manager profile (settings --> load view profile --> Kubuntu File Manager).

Is there some way of having the file manager profile set as default? I have checked around in all the preferences and nothing seems to stand out. I must be missing something.
    P4-2.66<br />320gb HDD<br />256mb Radeon 9200 SE<br />On-Board LAN<br />2gb RAM<br />17&quot; Monitor<br />CD-RW Drive<br />DVD-R/RW Drive<br />http://www.one-salient-oversight.blogspot.com/

Re: Default settings for Konqueror

Originally posted by One Salient
    Is there some way of having the file manager profile set as default?
    Code:
    konqueror --profile [myProfile]

Comment

You can start with a profile of your choice by launching konqueror with:
      Code:
      konqueror --profile <profile_name>
      for example:
      Code:
      konqueror --profile filemanagement
      Or if you define the folder you wish to open it starts in the filemanagement mode,
      for example:
      Code:
      konqueror ~
      to open your home folder

You can edit your launcher icons to use these commands if you wish to (so you don't have to type)

EDIT: the fast unicorn™ beat me to it

Comment

I have a system menu applet that I use to launch Konqueror. How do I modify the syntax? I can't seem to find any way of modifying the System Menu applet.
        P4-2.66<br />320gb HDD<br />256mb Radeon 9200 SE<br />On-Board LAN<br />2gb RAM<br />17&quot; Monitor<br />CD-RW Drive<br />DVD-R/RW Drive<br />http://www.one-salient-oversight.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by One Salient Oversight
          system menu applet
          http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....i#quick_starts

Originally posted by kubicle
          the fast unicorn™ beat me
          Rather "kicking & pricking"

Comment

I'm having no luck at all.

I'm assuming that the commands you are giving me should be run under "Run Command" ALT-F2. Here goes:

This appears to work. The problem is that the location toolbar is missing. In its place is a filter symbol and some zoom symbols. When I run Konq normally, and then go settings --> load view profile --> Kubuntu File Manager, the location toolbar remains. When I give the command above, it does not.

kdesu konqueror --profile filemanagement

Nothing happens. Not even a password prompt.

konqueror --profile Kubuntu File Manager

Gives "Malformed URL"

Re: Penguin URL given by Unicorn Rider.

This doesn't seem to help at all. I can get to /usr/share/apps/systemview in Konq running as SU but there doesn't appear to be any place to change it. I've tried to RTFM on it but it just doesn't seem to help me. How can I modify the applet so that when I hit "Home" it automatically moves to filemanager.

And, more basically, why can't the default be set to file manager when accessing preferences? Most Ubuntu/Kubuntu people would use Konq as a file manager, not as a web browser. I use Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by One Salient Oversight
              I'm assuming that the commands you are giving me should be run under "Run Command" ALT-F2.
              Yes, but you can also edit your launchers to use the edited commands if you wish.

This appears to work. The problem is that the location toolbar is missing. In its place is a filter symbol and some zoom symbols. When I run Konq normally, and then go settings --> load view profile --> Kubuntu File Manager, the location toolbar remains. When I give the command above, it does not.
              This seems a bit strange, to check that you're using the right profile, type 'konqueror --profiles' in the konsole and it will list all available profiles.

Nothing happens. Not even a password prompt.
              with kdesu, use
              Code:
              kdesu 'konqueror --profile filemanagement'
              konqueror --profile Kubuntu File Manager

Gives "Malformed URL"
              That's not a proper profilename, read above on how to check for valid profile names.

This doesn't seem to help at all. I can get to /usr/share/apps/systemview in Konq running as SU but there doesn't appear to be any place to change it. I've tried to RTFM on it but it just doesn't seem to help me. How can I modify the applet so that when I hit "Home" it automatically moves to filemanager.
              Try right-clicking on the 'home.desktop', choose properties and on the URL tab add ~ as the address (you need to start konqueror in 'root' mode to edit it...with 'kdesu konqueror')

And, more basically, why can't the default be set to file manager when accessing preferences? Most Ubuntu/Kubuntu people would use Konq as a file manager, not as a web browser.
              I'm quite sure there are a lot of people that do use konqueror as a web browser, and some use a different file manager instead, so there is no 'one-size-fits-all' solution here. Also, konqueror should automatically choose the right mode...when you open a web page, it goes to web browser mode, if you open a folder, it should switch to file manager mode. If this is not happening, there's something weird going on your machine.

Comment

The kdesu thing is a known bug. The solution is to do it twice. (If that fails, do "sudo -k" and try again.)
                For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                  The kdesu thing is a known bug. The solution is to do it twice. (If that fails, do "sudo -k" and try again.)
                  Won't help. (this is not related to the common sudo timestamp issue)

If you use
                  Code:
                  It'll interpret '--profile filemanagement' as options for kdesu instead of options for konqueror :P

Comment

Oh. Okay.
                    Guess I should actually test more often, huh?
                    For external use only.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider

with kdesu, use
                        Code:

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                        Guess I should actually test more often, huh?
                        Who has time for that?

Comment

Ooops; let's call it quits

Comment

Working...
                          X