X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help did something very stupid

Hi,

I was trying to change file ownership of some files, and accidentally wrote sudo chown joe:joegroup /*/* where joe and joegroup are my username and group. Now I can't do anything that requires sudo like changing the ownership back or running adept.

When I try to use sudo on the command line i get sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0644, should be 0440
    joe@joe-desktop:/bin$ sendmail: fatal: open /etc/postfix/main.cf: No such file or directory

When I try to run adept it displays an error tha says "Su returned with an error".

I don't know what to do, any help will be appreciated.

Re: Help did something very stupid

boot in "recovery" mode (when you start your box, type "esc" to get to the boot menu).
    that should get you a root shell.
    cd into the directory you were when you issued the chown command.
    change the relevant ownership(s) back.
    then issue:
    Code:
    init 2
    all should be back alright.
    hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Ouch.
      It doesn't matter where he was: he did "chown foo:bar /*/*"--meaning it chowned /*. That's... everything. Every last file.

I guess you could "chown root:root /*", "chmod g+rw /*", and "chown you:you /home/[user]". That'll get everything pretty close to normal, except for things like sendmail, which have things owned root:mail so that they can write to them.

The only way to completely fix everything would be to do a complete reinstall. You've almost hosed your box. Not quite, but pretty close.
      For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
        It doesn't matter where he was: he did "chown foo:bar /*/*
        true

"--meaning it chowned /*. That's... everything. Every last file.
        a lot.
        not everything.
        chown -r would be everything.

gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

There is no -r. If you thought -r was recursive; no, -R (which he did) is recursive.
          For external use only.

Comment

Ouch.
            It doesn't matter where he was: he did "chown foo:bar /*/*"--meaning it chowned /*. That's... everything. Every last file.

I guess you could "chown root:root /*", "chmod g+rw /*", and "chown you:you /home/[user]". That'll get everything pretty close to normal, except for things like sendmail, which have things owned root:mail so that they can write to them.

The only way to completely fix everything would be to do a complete reinstall. You've almost hosed your box. Not quite, but pretty close.
            that's what i tought but chown root:root /* does not work, because something happened to su and sudo. Getting ready for a complete reinstall.
            That should teach me not to mess with chown at 2:00 in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by DAGA
              I was trying to change file ownership of some files, and accidentally wrote sudo chown joe:joegroup
              or didn't s/he?
              gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Can I pose a not-altogether-tangential question about your motivation for doing what you did? In other words, why did you do it - and which files were you intending to change?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM
                  Can I pose a not-altogether-tangential question about your motivation for doing what you did? In other words, why did you do it - and which files were you intending to change?
                  A friend brought his hard drive with some files I needed, I copied them to my home folder but after that all the files belonged to root and couldn't work with them. I thought that if I used and asterisk it would change all the files ownership quickly but accidentally put the slash before the asterisk and my troubles began.

Comment

Yeah. Need to be pretty careful with sudo, the ch* commands, and globbing.
                    Nasty things like that happen.
                    For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                    X