This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad time to install Beryl?

Since Beryl is in the process of being merged back into Compiz, do you think this would this be a bad time to try installing it?
    For external use only.

Re: Bad time to install Beryl?

I might be wrong but Beryl is *just* an other application.
    You can un install it at any time.
    I could even imagine to have both installed, you only start up one at a time.

Comment

Well, I've seen that Beryl is a pain to get working. I wouldn't want everything to suddenly change.
      For external use only.

Comment

AFAIK, Beryl hasn't actually done any damage to anyone's (K)Ubuntu installation -- only their nerves .

Seriously, it works fine, although slightly differently, both on my Kubunty 32-bit and my Ubuntu 64-bit setups. It's actually a bit more rugged on the 64-bit system -- I noticed that it does not always successfully auto start in Kubuntu, especially if I just shut down the system without quitting Beryl first. If you're curious, give it a try. If it doesn't like your system, remove the package and try Compiz later.

Comment

Well, I just went through what I think is going to be my entire usage of Beryl on this hardware.

Long story short, you can't have the fglrx driver and composite enabled together.
          For external use only.

Comment

For what it's worth, I installed Beryl on a new HP computer with a nVideo 7500LE graphics card.
            The only 'hard' thing for me was to get all required Kernel sources in place before running the nVideo supplied script that compiles the video driver.
            Beryl itself has been dead easy to run and set up.
            But on occasions it did have a hard lock up that could only be resolved through a hard boot or ssh session from another computer. These lock ups usually involved (a combination of) full screen stuff like Google Earth and multi media.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
              you can't have the fglrx driver and composite enabled together.
              That's true, you must use AIGLX: http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_fei...ryl_ati_radeon

But, looks like it is fairly complicated. :P

Comment

In that article, under "unsupported":
                X1600 / R530 based cards.
                That's me.

Next card I get is an nVidia.
                For external use only.

Comment

It's unlikely that any changes upstream in Beryl/Compiz will filter down to Ubuntu repos for some time yet, and certainly not until there's a vaguely stable release of whatever they decide to call the merge. So, go ahead and install, enjoy your wobbly windows.

Comment

[quote ] So, go ahead and install, enjoy your wobbly windows.
                    [/quote]

I do very much thank you. Im wondering if theres anything else out there apart from Beryl/Compiz. Itd be interesting if there was..
                    Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Comment

Working...
                    X