Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Make this Bootsplash work with Kubuntu?

Sure thing, here it is. Let me know how it goes. It's be amazing to have shodan appear everytime I boot.

Apparently the forum's upload folder is full, or at least that's the error it gave me. I tried uploading it to a free file hosting site, so try this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7t4zvf3r0jx

Comment

Well, I just compiled it and put it in, and I was just about to reboot to test it when I read this on the article dibl mentioned:
      The implementation for usplash changed from Dapper to Edgy (6.06 - 6.10) and therefore the technique also changed for adjusting it.
      I'll reboot anyway and see what happens.

EDIT: way too many boots later, all I get is a black screen (at best).

I guess they weren't kidding when they said the method changed. I'm about to try the new one.
      For external use only.

Comment

Really got to keep up with the times when it comes to technology, hey?

Let us know how it goes...

Comment

Okay, I followed the newer instructions. I think.

I've got the image in place, and I'm going to try rebooting.

EDIT: Gah, nothing. Only a black screen. Other than the fact that the image doesn't display, it seems to be working fine.

I guess you could try using one of the other bootsplash tools. Dunno how you'd set that up, though.

EDIT 2: I'm a moron. In the process of removing the Shodan binary, I used ln -sf to link usplash-artwork.so to the Kubuntu one... but I mixed up the placement of the link name and the target. Would someone mind posting their usplash-theme-kubuntu.so?
          For external use only.

Comment

Here you go, Shee:

http://www.mediafire.com/?69d44rxwmxc

It's sort of depressing. Linux is all about doing whatever you want! Well, I want Shodan! lol.. there has to be a way to make this work....

Comment

My bet is on SheeEttin.

Merritt, I just noticed you managed to separate the text layer on the Shodan image. I kept it on my version. I think I like yours better!

Comment

Actually, I didn't separate it. I downloaded a picture of just Shodan, and fit it to meet the bootsplash requirements. I didn't use the one from kde-look.

Comment

Yeah, I did the same thing when I wanted to try starting from scratch. The one on kde-look seems to be broken (and the other one on kde-look seems to be a bad archive).

Anyway, I've got nothing. Unless, of course, you want me to try setting up one of the other bootsplash programs?
                  (I actually don't care about mucking up my bootsplash. I don't use it. )
                  For external use only.

Comment

Hey, if you're willing to muck around with it, I won't stop you. I still think it should be possible, and that having Shodan show up would be very impressive to my friends who see me booting up Linux.

Comment

By the way, I downloaded and am using this for my KDM theme:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...?content=30948

Only problem being that the username and password fields sit right on her face. Anyone know of a way of moving where they sit (say, the bottom right corner maybe), that is easier than editing the X,Y in the xml file?

Comment

I just read /usr/share/doc/usplash/readme. It appears to be written in English. With 2 college degrees and 56 years experience speaking and reading English, I can't exactly understand it ....

I think it could be interpreted roughly as "You are screwed!"

:P

Comment

Ah, dibl, it's called "technobabble"

It's technically english, but god help us who try to understand it!

Comment

I think the best translation of the "using" section is "it does stuff".
                            The examples section is the best-written one there.
                            For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                            X