This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thnderbird update

Trying to update Thunderbird in Kubuntu............new to all this and wonder if someone can tell me how to install this 2.0.0.4 version.........at the moment it is sitting on the desktop as a tar.gz file but not sure what to do with it now

Re: Thnderbird update

K Menu > System > Adept Manager > Search for mozilla-thunderbird.

The repositories should be your first place to look for software. Simple install, low(er) chance of problems.
    For external use only.

Comment

SheeEttin: Absolutely true, though in this case I would suspect strayaway has installed Thunderbird from the repos and wishes to upgrade to 2.0.

strayaway: Is there a new feature in 2.0 that you absolutely need to continue living? Or is there a bug so bad in 1.5 that you've only survived this far by gnawing your keyboard to shreds? If not, then I suggest you wait until it becomes available in the repos.

Comment

Just finding my way around...........installed the T/Bird 1.5 that was available to me via Kubuntu's Add/Remove progs I think (still don't know me repositories from me packages and all the other terminology I'm afraid) but as I had been using T/Bird 2 on my windows machine and as the Mozilla site said it was suitable for Linux, I downloaded it.......... but then had no idea how to install downloaded software in Kubuntu...........wont die without it for sure but there are some nice little refinements in T/Bird 2

cheers fer the replies

Comment

Well, you certainly can install it from a tgz, but you'll need the "alien" package. (We'll also be using the command line, so I hope you're comfortable with that.)

Anyway, once you've got alien, you can convert the tgz into a deb with the command "alien -d [archive].tar.gz". You can include the installation and other scripts with the -c option, and alien can execute the installer for you with -i.
          For external use only.

Comment

You are probably better off following these instructions:
            http://pykeylogger.sourceforge.net/w...hp/Ubuntuzilla

Comment

Many thanks for replies but having looked at both methods, I realize how 'green' I am and will stick with t/bird 1.5 for the moment .............he who runs away, lives to fight another day ...........thats my story and I'm sticking to it

Comment

Working...
              X