X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beryl Issue

Hi dibl,
    yes the nvidia-splash screen definetly came up just before the login-screen.

Comment

OK, try
      Code:
      sudo nvidia-settings
      in the konsole window.

Comment

Hi dibl,
        I tried nvidia-settings in konsole again,but I got the same errors and the nvidia-settings panel came up.I have pasted the errors in pastebin as SheeEttin suggested,but it didn't give me a url link to present it to this forum.
        So here are the error codes agian(apologies for the long length again):
        Code:
         steve@mernivia:~$ nvidia-settings

ERROR: Cannot open display 'mernivia:0.0'.

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute DigitalVibrance specified on line 19 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute ImageSharpening specified on line 20 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute SyncToVBlank specified on line 21 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute AllowFlipping specified on line 22 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute LogAniso specified on line 23 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute FSAA specified on line 24 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute TextureSharpen specified on line 25 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute ForceGenericCpu specified on line 26 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute CursorShadow specified on line 27 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute CursorShadowXOffset specified on line 28 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute CursorShadowYOffset specified on line 29 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute CursorShadowAlpha specified on line 30 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute CursorShadowRed specified on line 31 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute CursorShadowGreen specified on line 32 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute CursorShadowBlue specified on line 33 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute FSAAAppControlled specified on line 34 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute LogAnisoAppControlled specified on line 35 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute RedBrightness specified on line 36 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute GreenBrightness specified on line 37 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute BlueBrightness specified on line 38 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute RedContrast specified on line 39 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute GreenContrast specified on line 40 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute BlueContrast specified on line 41 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute RedGamma specified on line 42 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute GreenGamma specified on line 43 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute BlueGamma specified on line 44 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute OpenGLImageSettings specified on line 45 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank specified on line 46 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute XVideoBlitterSyncToVBlank specified on line 47 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute XVideoSyncToDisplay specified on line 48 of configuration file '/home/steve/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display connection).

steve@mernivia:~$
        Regards,
        STEVE555

Comment

Steve, which Nvidia chip is in your system?

Comment

Hi dibl,
            My graphics card is a nvidia 6,800 GT with 256Mb of memory on it.
            Here is my xorg.conf again:
            Code:
            steve@mernivia:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
            # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
            # nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Mon Feb 26 23:38:46 PST 2007

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
            #
            # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
            # values from the debconf database.
            #
            # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf(5) manual page.
            # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
            #
            # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
            # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
            # package.
            #
            # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
            # again, run the following command:
            #  sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
            #Section "InputDevice"
            #  Identifier   "stylus"
            #  Driver     "wacom"
            #  Option     "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
            #  Option     "Type" "stylus"
            #  Option     "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
            #EndSection
            #Section "InputDevice"
            #  Identifier   "eraser"
            #  Driver     "wacom"
            #  Option     "Type" "eraser"
            #EndSection
            #Section "InputDevice"
            #  Identifier   "cursor"
            #  Driver     "wacom"
            #  Option     "Type" "cursor"
            #EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

#  InputDevice  "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
            #  InputDevice  "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
            #  InputDevice  "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
              Identifier   "Default Layout"
              Screen   0 "Default Screen" 0 0
              InputDevice  "Generic Keyboard"
              InputDevice  "Configured Mouse"
            EndSection

Section "Files"

# path to defoma fonts
              FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
              FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
              FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
              FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
              FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
              FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
              FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
              FontPath    "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
            EndSection

Section "Module"
              Load      "i2c"
              Load      "bitmap"
              Load      "ddc"
              Load      "extmod"
              Load      "freetype"
              Load      "int10"
              Load      "vbe"
              Load      "glx"
              Load      "v4l"
            EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
              Identifier   "Generic Keyboard"
              Driver     "kbd"
              Option     "CoreKeyboard"
              Option     "XkbRules" "xorg"
              Option     "XkbModel" "pc105"
              Option     "XkbLayout" "gb"
              Option     "XkbOptions" "lv3:ralt_switch"
            EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
              Identifier   "Configured Mouse"
              Driver     "mouse"
              Option     "CorePointer"
              Option     "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
              Option     "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
              Option     "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
              Option     "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
            EndSection

Section "Monitor"
              Identifier   "Generic Monitor"
              VendorName   "Generic"
              ModelName   "1280x1024 @ 60 Hz"
              HorizSync    31.5 - 64.3
              VertRefresh   50.0 - 70.0
              Gamma      1
              ModeLine    "640x480@60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync
              ModeLine    "800x600@56" 36.0 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync
              ModeLine    "800x600@60" 40.0 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync
              ModeLine    "1024x768@70" 75.0 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync
              ModeLine    "1024x768@60" 65.0 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync
              ModeLine    "1280x960@60" 102.1 1280 1360 1496 1712 960 961 964 994 -hsync +vsync
              ModeLine    "1280x1024@60" 108.0 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync
            EndSection

Section "Monitor"

#
              Identifier   "monitor1"
              VendorName   "Plug 'n' Play"
              ModelName   "Plug 'n' Play"
              Gamma      1
              ModeLine    "640x480@60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync
            EndSection

Section "Device"
              Identifier   "nVidia Corporation NV40 [GeForce 6800 GT]"
              Driver     "nvidia"
              VendorName   "NVIDIA"
              BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (generic)"
              BusID     "PCI:1:0:0"
              Screen     0
            EndSection

Section "Device"

#
              Identifier   "device1"
              Driver     "nvidia"
              VendorName   "NVIDIA"
              BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (generic)"
              BusID     "PCI:1:0:0"
              Screen     1
            EndSection

Section "Screen"
              Identifier   "Default Screen"
              Device     "nVidia Corporation NV40 [GeForce 6800 GT]"
              Monitor    "Generic Monitor"
              DefaultDepth  24
              Option     "RenderAccel" "True"
              Option     "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
              Option     "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
              SubSection   "Display"
                Virtual   1280 1024
                Depth    24
                Modes   "1280x1024@60" "1280x960@60" "1024x768@60" "1024x768@70" "800x600@60" "800x600@56" "640x480@60"
              EndSubSection
            EndSection

Section "Screen"

#
              Identifier   "screen1"
              Device     "device1"
              Monitor    "monitor1"
              DefaultDepth  24
              SubSection   "Display"
                Depth    24
                Modes   "640x480@60"
              EndSubSection
            EndSection

Section "Extensions"
              Option     "RENDER" "Enabled"
              Option     "DAMAGE" "Enabled"
              Option     "Composite" "Enable"
            EndSection

steve@mernivia:~$
            Regards,
            STEVE555

Comment

Your 6800 GT is supported by their latest drivers, including -9755 which is in the nvidia-glx-new package that you installed.

Hmmmmm.

Did you ever try running
              Code:
              sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
              from the konsole window? If not, try that first, then restart the xserver (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) and see what is new and different.

Then, if that doesn't help, maybe a little experimentation on your xorg.conf file ...

Here are the Device and Screen stanzas from my xorg.conf file, which runs my 7900GS card really well. You might try experimenting with some of the lines that are different from yours. For example, note that there is no necessity on my system to specify the PCI slot -- maybe that is unnecessary on yours as well.

Code:
              Section "Device"
                Identifier   "Videocard0"
                Driver     "nvidia"
                VendorName   "NVIDIA Corporation"
                BoardName   "GeForce 7900 GS"
              EndSection

Section "Screen"
                Identifier   "Screen0"
                Device     "Videocard0"
                Monitor    "Monitor0"
                DefaultDepth  24
                Option     "metamodes" "1600x1200 +0+0"
                Option     "Coolbits" "1"
                Option     "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
                SubSection   "Display"
                  Depth    24
                  Modes   "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
                EndSubSection
              EndSection

Section "Extensions"
                Option     "Composite" "Enable"
              EndSection
              HTH

Comment

Hi dibl,
                I've had a look at your post and here's what I did.I ran sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite from konsole,but it had no effect.I then ran
                sudo kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf and commented-out my two pci-bus lines,logged in and out agian but that had no effect either.I also commented out DAMAGE and did the same process,but still no luck there.I really don't want to mess around too much with it in case I cant get X to start-up again.

Regards,
                STEVE555

Comment

Originally posted by STEVE555
                  I ran sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite from konsole,but it had no effect.
                  Hmmm. OK, you say "no effect", but did it appear to write over your xorg.conf file? In other words, did you see messages from it on the console screen, and then did you notice changes in the xorg.conf file afterward? I cannot understand how it could appear to run correctly but not write to the xorg.conf file.

I wonder if you log into the system in text mode (i.e. Ctrl-Alt-F1, then log in), stop the xserver with
                  Code:
                  sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
                  and then run
                  Code:
                  sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
                  if it will actually do the job that way? I'm kind of stabbing in the dark here -- I haven't heard of this particular phenomenon before. :P

Comment

Hi dibl,
                    Nvidia-xconfig did write that setting in my xorg.conf form konsole here is the section in my xorg.conf where it is
                    Code:
                     Option     "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
                    The no effect I'm talking about is that when I run sudo nvidia-settings from konsole,the error messages still appear when nvidia-settings runs after the changes I had made to my xorg.conf.

Regards,
                    STEVE555

Comment

Steve, this goes against conventional wisdom, but since things aren't working so well, why don't you try installing the nvidia-settings package? You didn't previously install it, when you installed nvidia-glx-new, did you? You weren't supposed to!

Comment

Hi dibl,
                        Nvidia-settings is not installed,I've just checked my Adept-Manger list and it clearly states nvidia settings is not installed.Admittidly,I did try and installed it when I first installed nvidia-glx-new,but Adept wouldn't let me as it stated it would break other packages.

Regards,
                        STEVE555

Comment

Man, that has got to be frustrating!

OK, I have only one idea left, and it's not real high confidence, but funny things sometimes happen. Why don't you (a) back up your present xorg.conf file, and (b) re-configure your system to a VESA display. Do Ctrl-Alt-F1 to a login prompt, log in, stop the xserver with
                          Code:
                          sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
                          , and then reconfigure the xserver as follows:

Code:
                          sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
                          On the first screen do NOT let it autodetect, and on the second screen choose "VESA" as the display. Go through the rest of the script choosing defaults, then when you get to the monitor, select one resolution that you can live with for a little while, like 1024x768, and a refresh rate range that you know your system can use. When you get to the end of the script, it will dump you back to the command line prompt. Type
                          Code:
                          startx
                          and you should get a usable GUI in which to work.

Now, run Adept and mark your nvidia-glx-new package for removal, and click "apply" to remove it. Make sure there are no other nvidia-xxx packages installed on your system.

Now, go to Alberto Milone's web site and download the Envy driver installer -- get the "stable" version on this page:

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

follow the instructions to install Envy, and then in a konsole window type
                          Code:
                          sudo envy -t
                          (to run the text mode) an tell it to install the Nvidia driver. Possibly that script will install it in a manner that your system will like better than nvidia-glx-new. If it doesn't get better, then you can simply re-install nvidia-glx-new and restore your backed up xorg.conf and you'll be no worse off.

I'll say a chant to the little monkey-god ....

:P

Comment

Hi dibl,
                            Thanks for the advice,I ran sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and after going to Ctrl+Alt+F1.I followed your instructions on the xserver prompts.Afterwards,I ran startx,the nvidia logo showed up and I logged in.Unfortunatley I can't get the default driver.So after much thought,I've decided to do another fresh install of my Kubuntu installation (I'll be using text mode so I can select the various resolutions for my monitor)

I would like to thank everyone for their help and lets see if we can sort it out with a fresh install.

Regards,
                            STEVE555

Comment

Originally posted by STEVE555
                              I ran startx, the nvidia logo showed up

That's just crazy -- something pretty fundamental was messed up, if the Nvidia driver ran after you configured the xserver as a VESA display! I agree, probably a fresh installation is best. Good luck with it!

Comment

Hi dibl,
                                I've just done a fresh install of Kubuntu.I've just got the latest updates(using NO extra repositories)So I'm ready to go now.

Regards,
                                STEVE555

Comment

Working...
                                X