This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GAIM becomes Pidgin when?

So, I know that the GAIM project recently changed its name to Pidgin due to some BS lawsuit from the AOhelL people, but I don't see Pidgin in the repositories yet, GAIM's still there though. Is there some sort of game played about when packages are updated/renamed if there's not a security reason for it, or is there some other reason I haven't see it show up yet?

Re: GAIM becomes Pidgin when?

well, packages are not just submitted and accepted immediately, there is a whole process in place to make sure they're fit or up-to-par to add to the repos.
    but the new(er) version(s) is/are prolly just awaiting to be added, this happens all the time...

i.e. i'm waiting for gimp 2.3.18 to be added to ubuntu repos but the latest version in the repos is 2.3.16; there has been two subsequent releases (.17+) since then...
    <br />

Comment

Do you know if there's anyone we can contact to ask them to include the newer releases of these programs?

Comment

If you want, you can compile it yourself. I compiled my own from source. I think, however, there are deb packages around. Not sure if you would want to trust the sources though.
        Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

http://www.getdeb.net/ has Pidgin packages for Feisty.

Comment

Originally posted by Princey
            If you want, you can compile it yourself. I compiled my own from source. I think, however, there are deb packages around. Not sure if you would want to trust the sources though.
            After the troubles I had with compiling stuff, then suddenly having it not work because of other package updates on my system, I'm trying to stay away from compiling stuff myself. I suppose it's a trade off, having to keep on top of versions or recompiling programs when serious updates come through, or being sometimes stuck with a slightly older version of a program. Kubuntu's much better about updating packages in the repositories than Mandrake was when I was using that.

Originally posted by JamesM
            http://www.getdeb.net/ has Pidgin packages for Feisty.
            I'll look into that, thanks.

Comment

I just compiled it myself. Went smoothly and works fine, sounds and all.
              I think it looks a little better than it did as Gaim and seems to have some more functions.
              I have to play some tho...

Comment

Report back and let me know how it is after you've used it a bit. If it sounds like a big enough and awesome enough change, I might just take the time to compile it 'til they finally catch up in the repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten
                  Report back and let me know how it is after you've used it a bit. If it sounds like a big enough and awesome enough change, I might just take the time to compile it 'til they finally catch up in the repositories.
                  So far, it's pretty stable. As for new features added, I really can't say as I never took the time off to compare. However, my file transfer problem seems to be solved with this new version.
                  Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Working...
                  X