This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok Crashes Whenever Offline..

I dont know how this happens, but if I dont have an internet connection, Amarok crashes as soon as I try to play a song. VLC media player will play them fine. I dont see any way to turn off media retrieval, as im guessing this is the problem. Running Amarok with kdesu (as root) doesnt help.

Some problems related: Video thumbnails dont all load. This meaning that in a set of 25 video files, only 15 or so load. If I try to play videos with Kaffeine, it will simply act as if its playing, but no sound or video will play. All of this is immediately remedied by an active internet connection.

This ones got me pretty defeated.. I dont think Ive ever had a problem so strange..

Any help or even ideas would be awesome.. This one isnt going to fix itself.

Re: Amarok Crashes Whenever Offline..

What version of Amarok are you using? I've tried to reproduce your situation to see if I could help but can't.
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Is it set to stream "radio" sources? Might help to turn those sources off, if you're not going to stay connected.

Comment

Originally posted by Princey
        What version of Amarok are you using? I've tried to reproduce your situation to see if I could help but can't.
        Amarok version is 1.4.5- thanks for the help...

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Is it set to stream "radio" sources? Might help to turn those sources off, if you're not going to stay connected.
          I looked through Amarok for a while, and I never saw an option that would allow me to turn of the radio streaming. What I did instead is tried to play a radio stream manually to see if that made amarok crash. It would simply say it couldnt reach the web address, but didnt crash. However, as soon as I try to play a song in my playlist, it crashes (just as before).

Ive tried opening Amarok through a terminal, but once its open, it wont give any messages as it crashes. I do get the following message repeated 3 times in a different way:

kdecore (Kaction) : WARNING: Kaction:: insert KAccel (Kaccel= 0x8099088): Kacell object already contains an action name "play_pause"

Im still stumped.

Comment

Here' s a wild guess, not saying that will solve the situation, but completely remove amarok and re-install. Do you get the same crashes happening?
            Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Or, before that, try renaming the file ~/.kde/share/config/amarokrc to amarokrc~ and the folder ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok to amarok~. If this works, there's something gone wrong in your configuration or some other userspace component of Amarok.
              For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                Or, before that, try renaming the file ~/.kde/share/config/amarokrc to amarokrc~ and the folder ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok to amarok~. If this works, there's something gone wrong in your configuration or some other userspace component of Amarok.
                Ok, I tried this and know Amarok just freezes when I try to play a song. It freezes at generating playlist. I then tried to open a song individually and it just freezes with a busy mouse. I have to force kill amarok at this point. Once again, hook it up to the net and it works perfectly. I cant uninstall it and reinstall it because I dont have an internet connection (this is from another computer...)

Any other ideas?

Comment

Well, if you can't install it though apt-get (or other method), you can download the package here (Amarok 1.4.5, i386), move it to your other computer, and install it there with "sudo dpkg -i [deb]".

You could also post to the Amarok forum, but last time I posted there I found out that it isn't especially lively.
                  For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                    Well, if you can't install it though apt-get (or other method), you can download the package here (Amarok 1.4.5, i386), move it to your other computer, and install it there with "sudo dpkg -i [deb]".

You could also post to the Amarok forum, but last time I posted there I found out that it isn't especially lively.
                    Well, im about ready to reinstall the OS.. and im skeptical because that usually doesnt help. Ive got so much time invested in my current setup, it would really suck. Any libraries or anything that I might need? Im almost convinced theres some kind of link between kaffeine konqueror and amarok in this situation... maybe reinstalling some core component from the command line with X killed?

Comment

Since you've got Amarok installed already, there shouldn't be a problem with dependencies.

If there are, though, dpkg will tell you what's wrong. (If packages are needed, you can probably get them from here; packages can be removed with "sudo apt-get remove [package]".)
                      For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                      X