This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

routine problems with gtk+, libxml and gconf

I routinely have trouble with software compiling. I typically have to fight with gtk+, libxml and gconf. Compiling software typically errors out saying that these are not up to date. I am sure that they are up to the newest versions. gtk specifically tells me that I should remove old versions. I do not know how to remove the version that came with kubuntu, and I don't know how to change the environment variables to point to the newest versions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: routine problems with gtk+, libxml and gconf

What are you trying to compile? Also, do you have build essential installed? That could be the root of your problem.
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

I do have build essentials installed. I have successfully compiled several programs in the past. It seems the problem is that Kubuntu puts gtk+, libxml and gconf in non-standard locations so that when I manually update these they are not recognized.

Comment

Frankly, I've never run into such problems and I do have those files installed. One thing to note, it's NOT recommended to manually update dependencies as that creates breakage which may be the case in point. If you type in
        Code:
        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        what do you get as your result?
        Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Here is the result of apt-get dist-upgrade:

Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree
          Reading state information... Done
          Calculating upgrade... Done
          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Comment

From your results, it appears that all dependencies are in good standing. Next time you're trying to compile and you get the error, please post back. I doubt the architecture has anything to do with it but I run the 64 bit architecture and don't get any of the error messages.

Comment

Dependencies in good standing? No, that command is "sudo apt-get check".
              For external use only.

Comment

Here is the result of apt-get check:

Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done

Seems pretty un-informative.

Here is the result of ./configure while trying to compile rawstudio

checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
                checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
                checking for PACKAGE_CFLAGS...
                checking for PACKAGE_LIBS...
                configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.0.0 libxml-2.0 >= 2.4 gconf-2.0 >= 2.0 lcms) were not met.
                Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
                installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively you may set the PACKAGE_CFLAGS and PACKAGE_LIBS environment variables
                to avoid the need to call pkg-config. See the pkg-config man page for
                more details.

Hope this helps. Thanks for all the help so far.

Comment

If you're an experienced user, you can go the way of editing the install script as suggested by adept. You said you manually installed the packages. I'd uninstall them if I were you and install them via adept. That way it will keep track of the location of the installed packages and dependences.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I dug a little deeper into adept and found that rawstudio was in the repositories already compiled. so it looks like I am allset for now. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                    X