This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT Broadband Talk Softphone

I wonder if any one has managed to get the BT Softphone, which comes with the BT Broadband Talk package, working in Kubuntu? I have tried to run it through WINE but have had no joy. When I installed the software from the BT CD with Wine, initially I couldn't find any trace of it. However, I looked in the 'lost and found' category of my main menu and low and behold, here was the icon for the softphone. Alas, when I clicked it, nothing happened.
    I have only two remaining reasons to keep XP on a partition of my HD.

1) To send text messages (100 free a month with BT Broadband Talk) with the BT Broadband Talk Softphone.

2) To grab the photos I have taken with my Nokia N73 mobile phone.

Ok, I am not complaining because Ubuntu or Kubuntu outperforms XP everywhere else. I ain't into gaming. In fact, I think (K)Ubuntu is red hot.

If anyone can help me with the Softphone and or my Nokia N73, I will be well happy.

I haven't tried loading the Nokia PC suite into WINE and running it from there. Will that suffice for my Nokia to get detected and be able to transfer data such as .jpg?

I am a novice at WINE (well, comps in general really) so may have installed BT Softphone incorrectly?

Thanx in advance for any hep/suggestions. If I need to post any additional data, let me know and I will. I may be out for most of today but will check back here tonight for sure.

PEACE

dk

Re: BT Broadband Talk Softphone

No idea about the BT thing, but since it's probably an ad-hoc mishmash of Windows hacks your best bet is to Google and see.

As for your Nokia - there are a fair number of apps in the repos that do what you ask; Kandy and Gnokii to name but two. It's invariably better to look for real apps for a real OS than try messing around with WINE.

Comment

Wine has a habit of putting things into Lost & Found rather than the Wine submenu...

Anyway, instead of clicking there, open up Konqueror and go to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/ and see if one directory in there looks like it'd be the BT thing. If you find it, hit F4, then type "wine ./[exe]", where exe is the executable. (After typing "wine ./", hit tab twice to get a list of possible execuables.)
      For external use only.

Comment

Cheers for answering. I didn't know that those mobile phone apps existed. I got as far as an ambiguous 'how to' for synchronising an N73 (even that was referred to pretty vaguely) with OpenSync and a few other dependencies. I tried Kmobile tools a while ago too but couldn't get anything to work besides the software recognising the existance of 'a' phone.

I look forward to trying the two mentioned.

With regards to Wine, I followed the path suggested whence I thought that the install had finished. The only files existing in the psuedo 'program files' folder in the ~/.Wine directory tree. were ':' and './' These have both been empty ever since I installed WINE.
        I have removed Wine since submitting my first post here and am going to try installing the BT software with it once I have reinstalled it. Maybe I did something wrong at the install or the softphone interface cannot work in Kubuntu.

cheers again for all of your time and advice

dk

Comment

Working...
        X