This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!, I've broken adept

Hi all, Been using Kubuntu for a week after installing over Windows on an old PC. I love it!!..but as expected, when stuff goes wrong I really don't have a clue why!

Anyway, in a futile to quest to view encryted DVD's and play MP3's I was trying to install Automatix and seemed to go wrong somewhere. Now adept wont work >

The adept database cannont be opened, this may be caused by incorrect APT configuration etc etc

I have tried the apt- get ( I think - copied it from the web) and apt-update methods of recovery but to no avail as there is a messed up line in my sources list ( something about deb on 'line 48') I've been looking around and apparantly you can edit the sources list, I had a look at using Nano in the terminal but scary and still don't know what I'm doing.

Is there anyway of resetting the sources list or viewing the sources list in a friendlier GUI and simply tweaking that one line. I promise not to get ahead of myself again!

Thanks,

Re: Help!, I've broken adept

Try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    If it works, write it down!

Here are some other useful adept-related commands to use periodically:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean

Comment

You can edit your sources.list file directly by hitting Alt+F2 and typing "kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list".
      Or, for a nicer GUI, you can edit it through Adept. (I think Adept allows editing. I know it did in the last version of the sources.list editor.) Open Adept, then Adept (the menu, where File usually is) > Manage Repositories > Third-Party Software. Unfortunately, that doesn't have line numbers, so hopefully it's the Automatix one.

By the way, dibl, are you sure you're in the right place?

EDIT: The DVD decrypting package is either libdvdcss2 or libdvdread3. Or you could install both. Just so you know.

EDIT 2: This might be a good place for my sudo/kdesu speech-like thing:
      kdesu is used for apps, while sudo is used for commands.

Even if you're running an app from a terminal, you MUST use kdesu. Using sudo for an app could actually do damage to your system (though how, I don't know).
      For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
        dibl, are you sure you're in the right place?
        Hard to say ... depends on whether colskee got any useful help ...

Comment

dibi and sheeEttin many thanks for your help. I tried the sudo route first but shyed away when I got the warnings about seriously messing up your system!

'Kate' worked like a charm. I simply moved down to the offending line, selected, deleted and saved. Now adept works again hurrah.

Right i'm off to get that Libdvd thing!

Thanks again fr you help

Comment

Yeah, you don't really need to worry about messing up your system from that. Also long as you remember kdesu = KDE, you'll be fine.
            As for messing up your computer in general, there's a reason most (if not all) of the system config files are writable only by root.
            For external use only.

Comment

Working...
            X