This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Kubuntu under Parallels in OS X - audio/video help needed

I'm trying to get Kubuntu running perfectly on my MacBook under Parallels in OS X and am almost there. The only thing holding me back is getting audio/video working properly.

What codecs do I need to apt-get to be able to listen to mp3s on amaroK and watch XviD/DivX/Matroska/etc. videos as well?

When I try to play music on amaroK, I get an mp3 not supported error which caused amaroK to crash before I can do anything. I tried installing libxine-extracodecs like the amaroK site says. However, when I install it and try to play an mp3, amaroK plays the mp3 about twice as fast as it should. It sounds high-pitched and skips.

I've tried installing the drivers through Automatix on both Ubuntu and Kubuntu. So far, no luck playing audio/video properly. That fast playing/skipping thing is the only thing preventing me from loving Kubuntu. Please help me out here.

A preemptive 'thanks a lot' to whoever helps me get this problem solved.

Re: Running Kubuntu under Parallels in OS X - audio/video help needed

Most of the codecs you'll need can be found on Medibuntu http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/

This entry on the Ubuntu wiki should cover everything you need to install. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

I, or someone else, will try to answer any further questions, but I was able to manage everything for my install between those two pages.

Comment

I've installed what I think are all the necessary codecs, and the files are playing. My problem is that they are just playing too fast. Does ALSA or OSS have anything to do with it?

I also tried installing every codec through Automatix, that didn't fix the playing too fast issue. If you can help me out with this you will be my favorite person ever.

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to step aside to let someone more knowledgeable offer their help. I only have a little experience, and I haven't encountered a problem like that. Good luck though.

Comment

Wow, never heard of this before...
          Try installing and using the xmms engine, or any others you may have already.
          Any change?
          For external use only.

Comment

Working...
          X