This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Change specific icon

Is there a way to change the icon for a specific file, without it being the new icon for all of that file type?

I just installed Doom III, and have linked to the shell script that runs it, putting it on my desktop. I have a nice little .png icon for Doom, and I'd like this link to show it on my desktop, but I do not want all shell scripts to have a doom icon :P lol

Re: Change specific icon

Also....

I applied an icon theme and I like it, changed the things I didn't...
    However I cannot find how to change the icons for my trash bin only (On kicker, not desktop)...

Comment

Option 1, (aka GUI)

Right click on the icon, in the context menu select properties.

Click on the icon image on the first tab of the properties window.

Option 2, (real men do it from the console using vi)

Edit the iconame.desktop file in your ~/Desktop dir.

Javier.

Comment

That's alright then, I'm not a man at all.

And the image of the icon is non-clickable...

Comment

You are talking about the trash applet, aren't you.

I don't know if the icon of the applet can be modified.

You can make a normal icon for the trash. Just open kate and type (or paste):

Code:
          [Desktop Entry]
          Type=Link
          URL=trash:/
          Encoding=UTF-8
          Icon=trashcan_full
          EmptyIcon=trashcan_empty
          Name=Trash
          Save it to a file in the Desktop folder (in your home) and call it trash.desktop.
          Now you have a "normal" shorcut in your desktop, you can drag it to kicker. This will let you change the icon clicking on it on properties, or just modifying the text file.

But it's not the same as the applet. It will just open konqueror in the trash folder, no fancy submenu.

Hope that it helps.

Javier (OK, no more real men jokes for a while .

Comment

In regards to the trash, I am talking about the little trash icon/feature that appears on the bottom right of Kicker by default. I still have kicker, still have my trash icon. But when I applied the icon theme, it made my trash look different. The new one is smaller and, well, just not as eye-pleasing. I just want to be able to put it back how it was, or choose a different icon set for it.

I'll take a screen shot to show you.
            Attached Files

Comment

Oh, yeah, I see what you mean.
              Based on another thread, I'm guessing you could look in ~/.kde/share/icons.
              For external use only.

Comment

That opens the folder with KDE Crystal Diamond (the icon theme I applied). Perhapse if I replaced the trash icon in there, it would change, though I am not sure which size of icon it uses (it offers several different sizes.)

As to the Doom icon I was working on: Fixed, in a weird sort of way. 'doom3' appeared in the KMenu under "Lost & Found". It had the Doom III icon, from the game's directory. Go figure. So I moved it up and into my games menu, then right clicked on it and said "Add to desktop", and presto, a shortcut with the icon, and in this one's Properties window the icon is even changeable. I don't know WHAT happened here, but at least it's how I want it now. lol

Comment

I'd suggest changing all of them, if you want the previous image everywhere.
                  The defaults are found in /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg, I think.

(I've been using this thread as reference, you might just want to read it yourself.)
                  For external use only.

Comment

Okay, things are back to normal!

I copied the trash icons I wanted over top of the ones located at

/home/kristen/.kde/share/icons/KDE_Crystal_Diamond_2.6_Kubuntu_Mod/32x32/filesystems

(Crystal Diamond is the active icon theme, so I guess that's why it worked)
                    At any rate.. I finally have my trash can set to a way I like it.

A big thank you to all of you!

Comment

Working...
                    X