This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devanagari text not rendering correctly

EDIT: Sorry, this is actually a Firefox problem as Konq works correctly. D'oh.

Hi -

Kubuntu newbie here, former slackware user. I just installed Kubuntu 7.0.4 onto a T60 laptop and things are mostly going peachy. One problem, however, is that devanagari (indic) text is not rendering properly. For people who know Devanagari, it's not putting the vowel infixes in the proper place, e.g. the short "i" symbol still comes after the consonant, etc. Just to be clear, the fonts are installed; Devanagari characters appear, but strings of characters have the problem just described.

I've read the wikipedia page on Indic text support (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Mu...rt_%28Indic%29), but all it really says for KDE or Debian-based distros is "you don't need to do anything, it will work correctly." Well that's obviously not quite the case, and unfortunately it doesn't have any troubleshooting suggestions.

I did notice that under the Debian section it said to install the ttf-indic-fonts package, so I ran apt-get, but it was already installed. Restarted the X server just in case, but it didn't help: still rendering incorrectly.

So, is there a FAQ or something for getting Devanagari to render properly? Or is there something else really easy I'm overlooking?

Thanks!
Working...
X