This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running a non KDE app at startup

I would like to run checkgmail at startup, a system tray app that notifies me of unread gmail. I have tried the Google one and the Kcheckgmail one from the repos, but I prefer this one.

Anyway, it won't run on startup even though it's running when I exit and restore last session is checked in session manager. I created a little launcher thing but I have to remember to click it to get it to go. Be better if it could just execute on startup. Any suggestions?

Ubuntu had a session manager where I could add stuff like this, but I haven't seen anything really in Kubuntu 7.04.

Thanks.

Re: Running a non KDE app at startup

You can add startup scripts/programs in ~/.kde/Autostart
    That works for me, have you tried it?

Comment

you can also try something else. i prefer this method: install the kcontrol-autostart module package that is in the repos and use it. its real straight-forward & easy to use.
      <br />

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I found the directory and created a link to the app I wanted to run. Worked great.

I did a "find" for autostart. It found the folder you mentioned, I created the app link and then saved the folder as a bookmark. Now I can just go to it whenever I need to.

That way I didn't have to unhide hidden folders in my home folder to find the directory.

I hope I'm thinking right, I'm very new to Linux.

Thanks,
        Eric

Comment

Originally posted by disturbedite
          you can also try something else. i prefer this method: install the kcontrol-autostart module package that is in the repos and use it. its real straight-forward & easy to use.
          I posted my reply while you were posting this apparently. I did as you suggested, but the program is nowhere to be found. I type in autostart in the "Run Command" box and it brings it up. I like it.

Here's the problem: I created a menu item for it manually under "Utilities". It doesn't run it, the path is invalid. But if I right click on it and select "Put into run dialog" then hit enter, it runs fine. I can manually enter it into the run command dialog and it runs fine.

Comment

I just installed checkgmail, I didn't know of it
            It's great, I can even run multiple instances to check my two accounts.
            Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ed67
              It doesn't run it, the path is invalid.
              Did you ...

... provide the full path to the script?
              ... check the "run in terminal" box?

Comment

Working...
              X