This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programs left running are re-run at next boot

I'm running AIGLX with Beryl in my Feisty installation, and I'm having some problems with this.
    First of all, I noticed that if I leave programs opened before I shutdown/reboot the system, the same programs will start in the next boot. Is this configurable??

Because using Beryl brings me some trouble, since there are some apps that need to be opened AFTER Beryl is started, since they present problems: Kiba-dock will tell me that there's no composite manager running; Adept_notifier icon will start as an icon outside the system tray; Superkaramba will report the themes as running, but they don't display in my desktop.

So I'd need them to open starting Beryl, maybe in the same script where Beryl starts and after some 'sleep x'. One way would be killing the processes and re running them after Beryl is running, but I don't lthink this is the best way...
    I read in another post that I can add scripts to ~/.kde/shutdown for them to be run at shutdown, so I guess I could put the killalls here.

So wanted to know what the 'nice' way to do this would be: startup configuration, first script-way, second script-way? Any other?? Thanks a lot.

Re: Programs left running are re-run at next boot

Well, that feature can be turned off in System Settings > Advanced > Session Manager > On Login.
    However, it will prevent all applications from doing this.

You might try listing the applications in "applications to be excluded from sessions" on the same screen.
    For external use only.

Comment

Cool! Thanks!!
      I added the line 'beryl:beryl-manager:kiba-dock:superkaramba' to "Applications to be excluded from sessions" and those applications don't start by themselves anymore. I made a script to launch them at startup...

Don't know why sometimes beryl-manager would start with beryl WManager and other times with kwin... so I did the following script to manually switch to Beryl whenever this happens and then get the applications automatically opened.

Code:
      #!/bin/bash

# Beryl and sleep...
      beryl-manager &

while [ ! -n "$BERYL" ]; do
      	sleep 3
      	BERYL=`ps -e | grep beryl | grep -v beryl-manager | grep -v start-beryl.sh | awk '{ print $4}'`
      done

# superkaramba and themes
      superkaramba \
      ~/.superkaramba/themes/ToDo/todo.theme \
      ~/.superkaramba/themes/GlassMonitor-0.3.2/glassmonitor.theme &

# kiba-dock
      kiba-dock &
      I'm starting to love Linux... lol

By the way, is there anyway to run a command from a non-graphical tty (ie Ctrl+Alt+F1) but make the process start in to the graphical tty (Ctrl+Alt+F7)?? Just as an example, kwrite, although it will be useful for other processes.

Thanks again!

Comment

Yep. Just use "--display :0" to start it on display :0 (the default).
        It's listed under Qt options, but I think it works for non-Qt apps too.
        For external use only.

Comment

It works for Qt applications, but it doesn't for any others...
          Do all applications which run their own window have to be either Qt or GTK??
          If not there should be a more generic way of doing this, since the text and graphical terminals are common to all Linux systems. Maybe at the level of KDE or Gnome at least...

Anyway, I needed it for launching kwin when for some reason my titlebars disappear... so it did the job. However it would be interesting to be able to run all kind of applications.

Thanks SheeEttin!

Comment

Well, it worked for Firefox.

On launching kwin, you can hit Alt+F2 to execute a command.
            If you need a console, you can hit Alt+F2 and execute Konsole from there.
            For external use only.

Comment

You're right. I had only tried with beryl-manager, for which it doesn't work. Then I looked at the --help of many KDE programs and the option --display appeared for them all, under Qt options. So I thought this only worked with with Qt, as you said. Then saw --help for firefox, and the option is also listed but under X11 options.
              And then I tried some with no help, and some GTK apps, and they all work Great!

On launching kwin, you can hit Alt+F2 to execute a command.
              If you need a console, you can hit Alt+F2 and execute Konsole from there.
              Yep, that's the first I tried, but don't know why sometimes my keyboard input is just ignored. I click and double click the field of Alt+F2 or the Konsole screen (when it's opened) and try inputting chars, but it's like it doesn't get the focus...

Comment

In the .kde folder in your /home/neo directory (which is a hidden file unless you tell your browser/file manager to show hidden files) there is an Autostart folder, and Beryl and probably other apps like to insert themselves there. You can delete any and all that you don't want in there.

Comment

Working...
                X