This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu won't shutdown (sometimes... :)

Hi! It has happened two days in a row (since I updated to Feisty), after a whole day running when I'm shutting down the system, Kubuntu just hangs. No video signal and no response to Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (anyway I think X has already terminated...) nor to Ctrl+Alt+Supr.

I was looking for similar problems in the forum, and I read to try running from konsole 'sudo shutdown -h now', which I haven't thought of. This worked, although the system hadn't been running for more than half an hour. I booted up again and tried shutting down from KMenu, and to my surprise, it worked too. That's when I realized the problem wasn't every time...

So I wanted to know if is there some log I can see for the next time it happens... I went through syslog, kern.log and dmesg (I don't really know which ones I should look in) but they don't seem to have anything awkward at the time of shutdown... I was also wondering if is there any key combination to disable the boot/shutdown splashscreen 'on-the-fly' to see the messages printed.

Hope you can help, thx!

Re: Kubuntu won't shutdown (sometimes...

None that I know of. You can, however, remove the "splash" from your kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst to not display the splash screen. (You can remove the "quiet", too, but it probably won't display anything more helpful.)

It may also help to add "acpi=force" to the same kernel line. It helps me.
    For external use only.

Comment

Working...
    X