Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Systems Settings GUI actually connected to anything?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Systems Settings GUI actually connected to anything?

Seriously, it seems like maybe 50% of it does nothing, and 25% does something bad. This is the key here folks - I only tried this experiment because it looked like Kubuntu had worked out a decent integrated with the KDE GUI. The last thing I want to be doing is editing config files in dozens of obscure locations - I did my time with DOS and Windows, and that crap bores me to tears. The general look & feel & functionality seems fine, and I'll certainly accept that I need to learn new ways of doing things, but all I'm trying to do is share some drives and a printer. If it is this painful, then honestly there is no hope for it beyond a community of IT geeks (I'm an EE, so I get to use that term).

I truly appreciate the effort put in by those that have developed this, and it is ever so close! On th other hand, I'm no novice with setting up PCs, and I now have hours and hours into it with only basic file sharing working. I'm not sure I've got the patience to wrestle this CUPS thing to the ground, especially since I cannot tell what the Systems Settings thing is doing, and I'm afraid to change anything there for fear of it screwing up the precious progress I've made - that's assuming of course that I'd have permission to change anything on my own darn PC!. I know quite well that I could have had it working days ago & be sleeping soundly right now.

Well, it's late and I'm angry, so time to quit for the night.

Re: Is the Systems Settings GUI actually connected to anything?

If that's the kind of thing you're looking for, I highly recommend installing Webmin from the repos. It's basically a frontend (like System Settings), but it's much more powerful--and besides, you can access it from other computers (if you choose).

If you're using Samba for file sharing (i.e. a Windows/Linux mix), Webmin can handle that, though its Samba module is a bit more difficult than the others. (The configuration sections are also a bit odd as well.)
    If it's some other form of file sharing, I'm not sure what to tell you. I'd need a description of your setup and the method af file sharing.

A little background on the System Settings thing: it was designed as a replacement for the KDE Control Center. It's basically the same thing, just a different frontend. The Control Center works a little better and is more mature. You can still get at it by running "kcontrol".
    For external use only.

Comment

Of course it's connected to everything. It usually works nicely.

Sharing folders is another matter. There is a bug included in the last release, basically the teams that do the real file-sharing and the kde ones lost "touch".

You'll need to edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file for a while. The wizards will add an unneeded line to every share "msdfs proxy = no". You will need to delete it by hand.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...mba/+bug/95460

Javier.

Comment

You can get grep to help you out with that. "grep -n 'msdfs proxy = no' /etc/samba/smb.conf" will print all matching lines with line numbers.

(If you wanted to get really automated, you could use sed to just remove all of those lines in one go... but that could go wrong.)
        For external use only.

Comment

Working...
        X