This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: Java in Firefox

How can I get Java to work with Firefox? I followed the directions here, but still every time I view a page with a Java applet, I get the plugin-not-found screen. It may be because I don't exactly know how to make a symbolic link. Right-clicking in Konqueror and selecting Create New -> Link To Location or Link to Application isn't the same, is it? And links created using the link command in the shell don't show in Konqueror as links, but rather as ordinary files. So I guess my second question is, how can I create a symbolic link?

Re: Java in Firefox

I don't know who referred you to that site. JRE 6 is available in the repositories and the mozilla plugin that makes it work in Firefox is there too.

Code:
    sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
    It is best to always use the packages in the repositories if available.

After the installation is complete run:

Code:
    sudo update-alternatives -config java
    to select JRE 6 as the system Java default.

You will be using aptitude to install these packages instead of the Adept package Manager because at a point in the installation you have to agree to the EULA.

If you run into any problems get back to us here.

Comment

Firefox actually referred itself to that site. When you tell it to automatically install the plugin, it doesn't, but gives you a link to the Java site and a link to "Find out more about plugins or install missing plugins." And on the Java entry for that, there is a link for Linux installation docs, which takes you to that site. But that doesn't really matter.

I ran the first command you gave, and it worked. The second command though returns an error, saying "unknown argument -config." Java works in Firefox anyway, though, now, so I guess it doesn't matter that much.

Thanks!

Comment

My mistake, a typo, shoud be

Code:
        sudo update-alternatives --config java
        Note the double dash.

Comment

Okay, thanks, that worked.

Comment

Working...