This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How difficult is it to use ndiswrapper?

I'm near the end of the road. I tried to install Linuxant's DriverLoader but have failed. Installation of their software went well (Linuxant says so) but to complete the installation I have to go to:

http://127.0.0.1:18020/

Knoqueror can't find this address. They suggested installing another browser, but I've been unable to install Firefox. I've tried many suggestions during the last four days without success. Nothing works.

That leaves me with ndiswrapper. I've avoided it because it looks like it would be difficult to use. However, if I can't get it to work, I won't be able to connect Kubuntu to the Internet and it will be worthless to me.

Comments or suggestions?

Thank you.

Re: How difficult is it to use ndiswrapper?

I have had fair success with it. There is a GUI that goes with it that tends to help some. I don't remember it right off since going to Feisty on my machine, I didn't need it anymore. You might want to look at automatix. It has that as an option to install.

Comment

I'm told on the Automatix forum that an active Internet connection is necessary for it to work.

Comment

Don't know what the heck that means. I assume they are talking about it not being part of the default install. I have several computers with Broadcom adapters that work best with ndiswrapper. I typically install and connect the wired adapter to add ndiswrapper and stay wired until I get it going. The GUI is helpful in Ubuntu, not so helpful in Kubuntu. It doesn't hurt, but once you learn the command line, you probably won't want to mess with it. Good luck.

Comment

Yes active and lingenfr is correct. Stay wired until you have all your wireless components installed.

Comment

Originally posted by tlinux
            That leaves me with ndiswrapper. I've avoided it because it looks like it would be difficult to use. However, if I can't get it to work, I won't be able to connect Kubuntu to the Internet and it will be worthless to me.

Comments or suggestions?

First, don't listen to the replies you have got.

Second, ndiswrapper is simple to use.

first you need to remove any reference to ndiswrapper on your system.
            sudo find / -name ndiswrapper
            remove any folders, files etc etc from your system. Make sure ndiswrapper.ko is also removed.

second download the latest ndiswrapper .tar file. do not use the package files from ubuntu, kubuntu or anything else.

third open console and unpack the .tar file. cd to the newly created ndiswrapper directory.

fourth issue these commands:
            sudo make clean
            sudo make
            sudo make install

Now go into your directory where you have the windows drivers saved and issue these commands:
            sudo ndiswrapper -i <NAME OF YOUR DRIVER FILE.inf> (in my case I am using the broadcom airforce 1 54g which uses the bcmwl5.inf file) so I type: sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf.

now check to see if your driver was loaded. Type: ndiswrapper -l

you should see: <your driver name> driver installed, Hardware present along with it's numbers.

example of mine:
            bcmwl5 : driver installed
            device (14E4:4318) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)

If everything works well up to this point then your just about there.

Now type:
            sudo depmod -a
            sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

At this point your NIC light should now come on. If it does then you now need to type:
            sudo ndiswrapper -m

Last step if everything has worked Ok do this:
            sudo kwrite (or kate or any text editor you use) /etc/modules and add the word: ndiswrapper at the very end of the file.

Done. Now you can use your tool of preference to set up your internet connection.

Comment

Forget to close your quote tag?

And why did you post in this old thread?
              For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                Forget to close your quote tag?

are you the quote police?

And why did you post in this old thread?

never too late for an answer. if it didn't help, at least the info is there for anyone else that may need it.

Comment

Working...
                X