This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kernel Update?

Thanks! That's a relief that it isn't just me. Reading that it seems to be different problems for different people. I haven't bothered to see what errors I'm getting. I'll check.

Comment

Only one minor problem with the new kernel. It wiped windows off the /boot/grub/menu.lst. The only reason I found it was for the first time in almost a month I had to boot into window and just after I down loaded the update. I just re-added the windows info and was able to boot into it.

eriefisher
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Well, I was able to boot into the one system that wouldn't by removing "quiet splash". Boots fine, but I did find that ALL of my mount points are screwed around. My second system booted fine, except that like on the other, ALL mount points are screwed around. > . That messes up my Karamba stuff I was playing around with.

Comment

My Ubuntu 7.04 64-bit low-latency system updated via Synaptic with no problems. Kubuntu/Adept do not indicate there is any upgrade available. Good thing, I guess!

Comment

You know, I thought new versions were supposed to be better... with the new kernel, I had to add the "irqpoll" option. (On the last update, I had to add "acpi=force".) Are they fixing problems, or introducing them?!
            For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
              You know, I thought new versions were supposed to be better... with the new kernel, I had to add the "irqpoll" option. (On the last update, I had to add "acpi=force".) Are they fixing problems, or introducing them?!
              What are you suggesting?
              I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

I don't know what acpi is... but activating something related to polling, surely doesn't seems desirable

Comment

Ok, this is what I've found
                  On my 32 bits box the kernel is up and running, no further issues or problems
                  On my 64 bits box there is nothing displayed by Adept related to the latest kernel update so on the system I still running the "old" kernel

MepisReign
                  Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

By changing the device names (was /dev/sda before /dev/hda now) your fstab or other components are likely to be unable to find the drives. A solution to this problem is to use UUID in your fstab

Comment

HMMMM So what will you all suggest? Iḿ going to install Kubuntu Faisty, should i upgrade or not ?

Comment

That is the major problem I have found with the new Kernel. It has altered all of the Device names from what they were and why I had screwy mount points. Yes UUID would take care of that, but I had to do away with that initially to get my mounts working properly in the first place (this coming from and upgrade and not a fresh install). The upgrade of such a Kernel change should also include some kind of mechanism to analyize a fstab file and set appropriately for system devices and/or assigning UUIDs (if possible).

Comment

I had to remove all the UUIDs from my fstab AND Grub's menu.lst, otherwise I couldn't boot.
                          Progress? I think not.
                          For external use only.

Comment

SheeEttin;
                            I agree. So far since the introduction of UUID, I've seen and personally experienced more problems than anything. I know they'll get it right eventually, but Man Oh Man, let us know somehow that the update would do something like that!!

Comment

OK guys. I've got that kernel working on my primary Laptop with NO problems. Basically I had to first remove ALL manual mounts. I reinstated my UUID for the root drive. Rebooted under the new kernel, fixed the mount point for the SWAP and that is what this post is about. That was a manual entry that I did after upgrading to Feisty due to the "renaming" issue. I do not remember if the SWAP is activated via UUID or not. How are those UUIDs derived? How do you retrieve the UUID? I'm trying to understand this a little more since this is the route that they seem to feel the system needs to take.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Code:
                              proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
                              UUID=aae11676-ef1c-4a3b-83f7-1c8baae62218 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
                              /dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0

Comment

You can read more than you need to know at the Wikipedia article.

As for retrieving the UUID, you can look it up with vol_id (though you need to be root).
                                For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                                X