This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sirius

I am trying to listen to sirius online. I can get it to appear to work in Konqueror with xine but there is no sound. When I try to load in Firefox it prompts to install a plugin but it must be manual. Has anyone been able to listen to sirius with Feisty?

Re: Sirius

I tried but they are racists , without a USofA ZIP code you don't get in...

Comment

Racist? Are you of some race that is not present in the United States? Hopefully you are a member of the human race.

If Sirius is like XM, they use some funky Micro$oft only crappola. I found a script for xmradio with some searching around. According to the information on the Sirius Player Add-on webpage:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3546

It works with Linux. Is that the one you tried? I read a few sites via google that mentioned mplayer and plugger.

Comment

I got the plug-in for firefox as suggested. It works well on Windoze but on my kubuntu it tells me that I am still missing the plug-in "x-oleobject". I have read some articles stating that is will only work with windoze. Any suggestions?

Comment

Hmm... OLEs are Microsoft's domain. (More than you need to know at the Wikipedia article.)

It'd be helpful if you could provide more information on the method of delivery. For example, is it an audio stream? If so, what's the format? (A file extension, or at least a link, would be great.)

Given that this is a subscription service (pay? for radio? hah!), they probably use some proprietary format. That's not good news for those not on Windows.

If they provide a Windows executable for listening to Sirius radio, you might be interested in Wine.
          For external use only.

Comment

It is streaming audio for a paid subscription to Sirius. You can find it at their website www.sirius.com and click the link to listen.

I am new and not that familiar with wine. Will wine play the windows file needed?

Comment

Wine is a compatibility layer for Windows programs. it basically provides a partial environment for Windows programs, mostly DLLs.

I clicked the link for a free three-day pass on the site, and now I'm waiting for the email. Once that happens and I can see what they're doing, then I'll be able to help you more.

EDIT: Ah... I see. It uses an embedded Windows Media Player. Don't know if utilizing this is actually possible on Linux.

After looking at the link provided by Firefox for the plugin (which actually came from Sirius' page), it looks like Microsoft has a plugin for Netscape Navigator. (Firefox is based on Netscape somehow, I'm not clear on the details.) However, it's only for version 4, which is too old to even hope for compatibility with Firefox. The plugin page does, however, state that to use it Netscape 6, you must install WMP 9.

I guess you'd be best off with installing WMP 9 though Wine if you want to use the online radio. Otherwise, I'd say stick with the standard system and hook it up to your computer if you so desire.
              For external use only.

Comment

Working...
              X