This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beryl and applets

I am having an issue with beryl. When I boot into kubuntu and the beryl desktop loads sometimes one or two of my applets don't load up on the panel and puts a small icon in the upper left corner of my desktop. I have done some googleing and have not seen a solution. I may not be using good keywords.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Jojo

Re: Beryl and applets

Which apps? You're probably not alone in this. When I load Beryl adept_notifier icon sometimes "jumps" out of the system tray and I have to close it manually. The SVN version of Beryl shows some improvement in this regard.
    In a world without windows and fences who needs Gates?

Comment

It might help if, before shutting down or restarting, you will right click the Beryl icon and then click "Quit". It might not actually close the cube (it doesn't on mine), but it will think it's been shut down and you won't get the "Beryl crashed" message on the next boot.

Skydancer is right about Adept notifier -- it can be annoying but can safely be ignored.

Comment

Nope. I can confirm this happens. It happens sometimes. Not always.

Basically, Beryl crashes the systray. Once crashed, all icons in the systray either disappear into cyberyspace OR each one is displayed on the desktop as 'windows'...

Somewhat annoying as the only fix seems to log out and hope it works correct logging back in. It's one of the many perks of using bleeding edge software. =)

Probably a bug but then again, beryl is beta. Jeez, is it even being worked on anymore since the merge is 'complete'?
        I like KDE. My only gtk apps are beryl/emerald.

Comment

So I guess I just have to start beryl after my desktop is up. I am already using the SVN version from Trevino's repository. It is mostly the power-manager and the klipper. Is there no way know to fix this? Is there a way to force beryl to start last?

Jojo

Comment

I fixed my issue. My issue turned out to be KBFX (the newest 0.4.9.3). It was annihilating my systray. I downgraded to KBFX that is available in the default ubuntu repos and the issue is does not exist.

So, if you're running KBFX, check into this....

If that's not the case, then simply place numbers in front of your start up files in .kde/Autostart....

IE: 10-kopete.desktoop, 20-something.desktop..... 99-beryl.desktop
            I like KDE. My only gtk apps are beryl/emerald.

Comment

Does anyone have a workaround for the adept notifier bug? It's really annoying me to have to kill adept notifier to get rid of it from my taskbar when running beryl.

Oh yeah and I can't see it as a bug in Launchpad what package do you think I should report it against?

Cheers
              Child
              http://www.last.fm/music/The+Pony+Collaboration

Comment

Not only with "adept notifier" but also Karaba themes have their quirks with Beryl.

Comment

Working...
                X