This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDF problems

My new feisty fawn install has major issues with pdf files. kpdf will not open any pdf files, neither will kghostview. Running kpdf and selecting the open menu item, and traversing to a directory that has many pdf files in it, the file dialog does not show any pdf files. If I manually type in the name, I still get an error claiming it cannot open the file. If I try kghostview I get the following error:
    Could not open /home/kpenrose/Scouts/EagleBook.pdf which has type application/x-kdeuser1. KGhostview can only load PostScript (.ps, .eps) and Portable Document Format (.pdf) files.
    So, I think the file type is wrong. Go to command line and type file *.pdf, and all of the pdf files are reported as PDF files correctly.

Adobe will open the files, but it balks when it comes time to print. The acroread print dialog does not show the status of the printer, and when I click print, the print job goes nowhere.

All very strange, but somehow related I think. The printing doesn't know how to apply a filter, because the file type isn't reading right or something.

This is hard to explain, I hope someone has some insight.

Re: PDF problems

Maybe there is something wrong with your file types configuration.

You can delete the /home/username/.kde/share/mimelnk folder, log out of KDE and log in again. This should restore all file associations to its default and may solve your problem.

Javier.

Comment

Re: PDF problems

That did the trick for kpdf and kghostview!

Now if Adobe acroread could just print the pdf files everything would be great!

Comment

Working...
      X