This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE booting screwey

This may have been encountered before, but I haven't seen it, so I'm going to just ask it.

I installed Kubuntu, updated the drivers to nvglx ( or some such ). I'm running on an Inspiron 8500 with a GeForceGo 4200 ( 64Mb Video ). I then installed beryl and beryl settings. I then rebooted, and ran beryl-settings, and selected Beryl as the desktop manager. I got thrown into a white screen. I had to reboot to get out.

Now, whenever I reboot into Kubuntu, even though I booted to recovery console and removed beryl, beryl-settings, beryl-manager via "apt-get remove", I come up into the desktop, and after a few seconds I get thrown back into this all white screen and can't get back to the KDE Desktop.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get back to the default KDE Window Manager and not go through a whole reinstall of the system ? Help.

Thanks in advance to all responses.

Re: KDE booting screwey

I suspect it's a configuration issue (or lack thereof) with xorg.conf... It would be helpful if you posted your xorg.conf file.
    I like KDE. My only gtk apps are beryl/emerald.

Comment

Probably you should Ctrl-Alt-F1 to the console, log in, and run the xserver reconfiguration script:

Code:
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
      On the first screen, you can choose "yes" to autodetect your nvidia chip. Then continue through the script, giving the resolutions and refresh ranges for your monitor. When you complete the script, it will toss you back to the command line. At that point, type
      Code:
      startx
      to restart the xserver.

If you don't get a satisfactory result from doing it this way, then on your second attempt, choose "no" on that first screen where it asks to autodetect the graphics, then on the second screen choose "VESA", and then complete the script. This will give you a GUI, from which you can work, and then you can use Adept to install nvidia-glx or nvidia-glx-new (whichever is right for your GF 4200).

HTH

Comment

I ended up reinstalling, however, my ultimate goal is to get up and running under beryl. What you posted seems like a sound solution, so I'm going to jot it down in case I "screw the pooch" once more.

Thanks !

Comment

It looks to me that something in your .kde got screwed up.

So another possibility would have been to rename .kde in your user folder to something like .kde_backup. Logging out and back in again gives you a fresh kde desktop. Now you can copy / past all the relevant app settings (found in .kde/share/apps) from the old .kde to the new .kde.

Just my 2c as a reference for the future
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
          X